Double bed valance with split inverted pleats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double bed valance with split inverted pleats

I've been asked to make a panelled double bed valance with 5 split inverted pleats (the divan has drawers) . the client has supplied the main fabric but not the lining. I have made a lining base with fabric borders with mitred corners, to which I will attach the skirt . The base has piping down both sides and across the bottom. The pleats require separate back panels of 10cms which the folded flat sections are attached to. All the component pieces are fully lined. A lot of work and I have no idea what to charge! Can anyone help?

Re: Double bed valance with split inverted pleats

Try breaking the work down into sections, e.g. one pleat and decide how long that will take you or how long it takes to make ten metres of piping. It's always worth making notes of this type of thing, as when a similar job comes up you will have a starting point. Don't forget to add on your profit margin as well.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I find that bed valances take a lot of time! I charge around £200.00 for a double although this does not really cover it. I generally find that loose covers are a lot of work for poor return. When making a pleat I fold the angled sides back and place a seperate triangular section behind, I think that this is easier to lift the skirt if the bed has drawers, although I think that most makers do the pleats in one piece.

Good luck
      Christine

Comment

A trade pricelist I have from last year quotes £120 +VAT for a basic kick pleat valance, includes polycotton lining for the base but not piping or extra pleats. They would expect you to add profit on to that for your 'retail' price and of course you'd have to pay delivery to get the fabric to them and the valance back to you.

Somewhere like The Dormy House lets you input your sizes and gives a retail price to compare......
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Have a look at what Dormy House charge for this and match it without the carriage. I find it difficult to get a good return on these. They are very labour intensive!!

Good luck

Comment

Hi. I have done a lot of these recently with 4 kick pleats.. They do take a long time to make ( v labour intensive ) A good days work..
            I charge £285.00 , lining platform included .
            Customers don't seem to blink !!! and there is the designers fabric on top , so quite an expensive option .

Comment

I too have made a few of these recently, the most recent being a super king size lined bed valance with inverted pleats at centre sides, base and base corners with 2 x 1/2 pleats at the head end, plus piping all round. I charged £275 for this including lining, but not face fabric. Although I enjoy making them, I completely agree - they are very labour intensive, The Dormy House charge £245.00 excl carriage for this size, but without piping or the centre side pleats!

Comment

After reading the other replies I will put my prices up on these now. I have had a look at the dormy house ones and they seem very basic to me for what they charge.

Kind Regards
                Christine

Comment

Working...
                X