fitted bed valance with box pleats at corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitted bed valance with box pleats at corners

Hi all I'm just starting out & have my first order for a fitted bed valance super king size. Can anyone recommend a good site on how to make the box pleats for the corners (the flapped ones). the sides will be straight with pleats at the corners, the platform will be in calico or lining fabric with 10cm borders of main fabric & lined. I'm unsure as to whether I should pipe it too. any advice much appreciated.
    many thanks
    Sadie

Re: fitted bed valance with box pleats at corners

This might help - I haven't watched it all the way through though......or I'm pretty sure the Merrick & Day Encyclopedia would have instructions......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

It is just a simple inverted box pleat that you create. You will need to have a pleat in the middle of each side and the end to hide the seams in. I would definitely pipe the edge of the platform.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I agree Louise, it's a lovely bed valance, but the presenter is so slow at talking I wouldn't be able to spare the time to watch till the end!
        Caroline

Comment

These posts might help too

bed valance with kick pleats
          bed valances
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately the little clip hasn't downloaded. I'm after a more upholstered look like this:

http://www.theheadboardworkshop.co.u...valance.html#/

Sadie

Comment

That looks like a standard valance, with a border on the platform and kick pleats on the corners. It isn't piped on the platform seam, which I would prefer to do.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

ok thank you

Comment

I watched these clips with interest as I find bed valances always take longer to make than I anticipate and was looking for some tips on speeding up the process.
                  However I have found that I make my valances differently in that I make the pleats seperately (just a lined triangular shape squared off at the top) which sit beneath the turned back sides of the valance, if that makes sense. This has got to be less bulky and easier especially on the corners and gives better access to the drawers if needed.
                  I also finish off the platform seam by turning it inside and hand sewing rather than overlocking which probably accounts for the extra time but gives a good finish.

Kind Regards
                  Christine

Comment

I agree with Pen regarding piping it as it makes it much easier to have the piping line to follow when attaching the skirt and I think it helps it to sit nicely onto the base

Comment

Yes definitely it should be piped.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X