Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fabric for bathrooms

Hi all
    My customer would like me to line the glass doors of her guest bathroom with curtains, rather like glass fronted cupboards. It is a tiny new room with no windows but an extractor fan, but I am a bit anxious about moisture and mould. I wondered if a thinnish unlined cotton or linen would work or whether it would be better to go with a synthetic fabric to repel any moisture? Does anyone have any experience of similar stuff? The glass would be facing into the bedroom, so will not be very cold but I can imagine it getting damp and steamy...
    As usual, I would be grateful for any input.
    Thanks
    Annie

Re: Best fabric for bathrooms

You used to be able to get a wash-in mould inhibitor. I think I had some with a 'Pretty Frills' shower curtain kit eons ago. Might be able to get something similar now and just treat the fabric your customer chooses?

Comment

Your client needs to be aware of the limitations of this environment in order to make an informed choice. If it's a modern trickle double switched fan then the problems are reduced. Do you know the air exchange rate at all?

Comment

I used an outdoor fabric from H&S several times last year - called Outdor - only plain but it lots of colours available. It is surprisingly soft and makes up easily. I made rotary washing line and BBQ covers for a friend, I saw them yesterday after they had been outside all winter and they looked fine.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

If you were making curtains or a roman for this room, would you be having the same thoughts? If it's a modern extractor the right size for the room, then I wouldn't expect any problems.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you very much everyone for the input. I have no idea of the air exchange rate but would have thought the extractor should be up to the task as the room is newly constructed and is only approx 1m x 3m; just a shower with a tiny basin and loo.

I suppose my real anxiety is that there would be very little room for air to move around the curtains as they will be attached top and bottom to the doors, probably on curtain wires (although I haven't really thought this through). I don't want to advise the customer that she can choose any type of fabric and then have her hit problems later on. Perhaps I am worrying too much!

Thanks again, you helpful lot! Problems shared, etc!
            Annie

Comment

Working...
            X