Borders and tight corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borders and tight corners

I wonder if I could ask advice on a couple of issues with some roman blinds ? The first isnt too tricky more of a design idea. I am making 3 blinds for a kitchen, one window with a single blind and the second wide window has 2 blinds hanging next to each other. the client has asked for a border on 3 sides of all the blinds. Maybe i am over thinking this, but the 2 blinds next to each other will have a "double border" and i wondered if that is ok or would anyone suggest halving the border width on that edge??? so it looks equal from a distance.

My second question relates to the picture below. This is a friends bay window with the windows at 90 degrees to each other and not a lot of frame in the corner. I have explained that there may not be enough room when the 2 blinds are stacked , the drop is 1.50 and she wants interlined curtains in an embroidered linen so quite bulky. We would attach inside the recess. Should I just say no, impossible, and think about curtains or has anyone any experienced advice that might help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	117344

Thank you

Sue

Re: Borders and tight corners

Borders question - discuss with client. The choice will depend on whether you want it to look like two blinds - i.e. the 'double' border in the middle will emphasize the fact, or trick the eye into a more unified look by only putting borders on the outside edges and bottom. A basic drawing of both options will help visualise the effect.

Is there a reason why you're not considering one wide blind? If you use a rotary track you can go up to about 3m......

Bay blinds - again you need to discuss with the client. You can put romans in a square bay but you do need to allow space for the folds when the blinds are raised, which means when the blinds are down there will be a gap between them. Usually the advice is to make the middle blind wide and fit first, then make the side blinds narrower to allow for the folds.

If you search for blinds in bays there are measuring tips for how to plan this......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have done bordered blind in a bay and would recommend that you use full sized borders on all 3. If you wanted it to look like 1 blind then I would only put the borders on the two outside edges and along the bottom of all 3. Would have posted a picture but I'm afraid I've never been able to here!

Comment

Janie - happy to add your picture if you want to email it to me......
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes Susie, Blinds in such a right-angled bay are possible, like Louise says the centre one is the one that is completely side to side covering the glass and then the two side ones position them with a wee gap (1cm) where they meet the centre one in the corner. Now the ones I did weren't interlined, though they were embroidered. The gaps are not so noticeable when they are at the sides. I can understand your worries though, because I've completed some very bulky blinds of a similar drop and I'm shocked at how bulky the 4 pleats are, and personally I wouldn't do a bay such as this in bulky fabric. Could the interlining be a 'thin' one?
          Caroline

Comment

I am in the process of doing blinds for right angled windows in a conservatory. My fitter recommended, as Caroline and Louise have said, that we put the head rails on the front windows exactly side to side and the head rails for the side windows are shorter by the depth of the head rail on the front plus enough to allow for the pleats on the front blind. They are a Sanderson 100% cotton interlined with bonded. I be putting them up tomorrow (yes I know it's a Sunday!) so will see how they go!
            Marian
            Interiors, Made by Marian

Comment

Thank you for all your useful tips. I would love to see your blinds Marian when they up tomorrow? I will use a lighter thermal interlining I think and that should work but it would be nice to have a photo I could use to show her so there is no misunderstanding.

Couldnt make blinds at all if it wasnt for all the help I have had from you all...Thank you

Comment

The blinds went up yesterday and looked great I didn't get to take any pictures on this trip but have to go back in the next couple of days with more. This has been a huge job, which is great for me starting out but a big learning curve! I will definitely post a pic next time
                Marian

Comment

Sounds great Marian. Love to see the pics. How much allowance did you allow on the side blinds? 1cm +? I have a similar job to do. Thanks.
                  KarenS

Comment

Hi Karen, we left a gap of 2cm between the two head rails. the blinds had four rods so 9 half folds, when both blinds are fully up they do 'bunch' but when I explained to the client this would happen or she could have a bigger gap when they are both down she said that she will never have them both all the way up. She wants them at different heights around the conservatory. So happily they look great!
                    Marian

Comment

Hi Marian, well done ! I think I remember your introduction to the forum about the same time as me so I know its all a bit of an adventure. I am still having to do the day time office job but planning my escape which will give me more time for sewing. have you advertised much or has it been word of mouth ? I have a lovely interior designer that puts work my way and a local interiors shop that I make all sorts of cushions for, as well as friends and a few new clients I am picking up.

I know i couldnt have made half the things I have to date without having everyone on here to ask for help, its brilliant and thank you for your tips with this corner problem !

Sue

Comment

Not a very good picture, but illustrates the idea of the face window blinds being full width and the side ones butting up

John Quine
                        Brooke Design
                        Fylde Coast

Comment

Many thanks Marian for sharing your experience with this one. Sounds as though you did a great job. Lovely picture John, thanks for sharing.
                          KarenS

Comment

Yes, thank you john, that is a lovely picture. I am useless at taking photos of my work but I will give it try next time I am there!
                            Marian

Comment

Thank you John, a really useful picture to show my client who is now happy about how the blinds will work.

Comment

Working...
                              X