rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rods

I too have a dilemma, waiting to do a course in October with Wendy Shorter Interiors for Advanced Roman Blinds. Have made loads of blinds in the past but wanted to know about new techniques etc. I make them by sewing lining and main fabric together, working out my drops usually 4 lengths of roman blind tape on the back of the blind and then stitch velcro on the top and wooden batten in the window reveal and stick velcro on the front of the batten, staple too and then thread the cords at the back through eyes screwed up into the batten.

Was wondering whilst waiting I am making a 45" wide roman blind and the only dowelling I can get from any shop is very thin wooden dowelling and it has snapped in the past. Has anyone used Merrick and Day Fibreglass rods and are they strong enough????

or any other advice???

The only other thing is my old boss used to buy in roman blind tape that used to take 6mm dowel and it was brilliant, but have not been able to find it anywhere and she wouldn't tell me

thanks any advice much appreciated.

smiley

Re: rods

I use M&D glassfibre rods - they seem to be fine.
    Jane

Comment

Hi Smiley

She wouldnt tell you !! why is it such a problem for some people.. I dont know - I now always use the fibre glass rods from Merrick and Day, looks flimsy, but its absolutely fine. I too use to use wooden dowel and found it a pain to have to go to B&Q and get it, so I have the fibre rods in ready.

Kathy
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi all
        great answers thank you very much, unfortunately more questions.

Do you order online and they send because I thhink they come in 4metres lengths????? Also do you both use my method with the wooden batten or do you buy a Merrick and Day track??

cant wait to hear back!!!

Comment

Hi

I buy the track now and make it up, again I use to use wooden! flat bar for the bottom bar and track components for the top. Order before 12 and they send next day, very good.

Kathy
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

I use whatever the customer wants. I give the option of batten or track and they decide.
            I always use the fibreglass rods work fine. I use the tape also, well most of the time. I sometimes use the method where you stab stitch through, so you dont have rows of stitching showing on the front. I tend to use that on check or stiped fabric, if using blackout lining or if using silk and interlining.
            sharon

Comment

For the fixing rail, I give the customer a choice between the deluxe rotary header sytem from M&D (easy to figure out how to use it once you've actually got one to look at) or a wooden batten with screweyes - because it makes a difference to the price of the blind. I use a flat bar in the bottom & fibreglass rods (both of which I keep laid flat on the floor otherwise they bend). Used to use tape but now always make the rod pockets out of the lining and sew on little clear rings (which haven't split so far!)
              Jane

Comment

I buy all my components from Merrick and Day and have only praise for the company and the products. I use the roman blind tracks so that I can supply the blind finished and all client has to do is screw in two small brackets (as I'm not insured to drill holes in people's walls). They track then just snaps onto the brackets and that's the job done.

I use the fibreglass rods and am very happy with them - the only consideration is that they need care when cutting as they splinter easily and those splinters are really annoying. Plus you need the end caps for them as well. I use the flat metal bottom bar and like others, buy both of these in full lengths and cut them to size.

I only use the rod tape when making a machine made roman using the bonded lining/interlining, as it's too thick for rod pockets. I only sew the tape to the lining side though, and stab stitch through at the tape level to the front, as I absolutely loathe lines of stitching across the face of a blind. The only time I'd do that is if the blind is unlined, where you've no choice. Otherwise, it's all done on the lining side.

Comment

Hi,

Thought I'd put my two pennyworth in - for what its worth.

6mm wooden dowels fit nice and snugly into the Rufflette Roman Blind tape which has openings to allow the insertion of rods without having to leave the ends open.

Wooden dowels from my timber merchants come in 2.4M lengths and are approx 90p each for the 6mm size, but they do loads of other sizes too. I buy all my timber every few months or so, so although they charge for delivery, I'm getting loads for my money. Usually stock up on all the sizes of battens, rods, pelmet boards, etc. etc. and don't have to struggle getting it into the car, and I know I've got stock of what I need without having to wate time in DIY shops etc.

I do not use blind tape unless requested as I too hate the look of the visisble stitching lines. Personally do not like the fibreglass rods as I found that the splinters hung around in my fingers like those itchy cactus plants, and also found they would splinter as I put them into the rods or pockets. They are very small diameter so you have to make sure your stitches at the end of the pockets are tiny as they can work their way out. I have used a lighter to melt the ends very slightly in the past to bond the fibres together, but in the end I reverted back to wood.

Evans do plastic rods now, I am waiting for some to be delivered so will let you know the verdict.

Sue.

Sue.

Comment

Depending on how many roman blinds you make, perhaps you would be better buying the componets from a Riel Chyc.

Their rods and axle bars & chain are cheaper than M&D. But the brass chain is a shiny brass wereas M&D is a matt (better in my personal opinion)

M&D componets for heavery blinds are better, and fit closer to the window too, although I'm told that the chains have to be continuous, having experimented a bit I really don't see the need for the expenditure of continuous chain if you stock a reel of it already.

Although the initial outlay was expensive, I've been using Riel Chyc for 2 years now and it if far more cost effictive, Jones & Co, Price & Co, M&D and Riel Chyc all stock the same items, just need to shop around.

HTH
                    Morag

Comment

Hi
                      I agree with Morag, Riel Chyc do excellent blind products at good prices.
                      Their price list is a bit confusing but once you get used to it its fine
                      Cheers
                      Clark

Comment

Working...
                      X