Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman blind calculations

Hello

I wonder if you can help me in my little problem...

my customer has a pair of french doors with a window either side and requires roman blinds with a bead trim! I feel that they should all pull up the same with rod pockets running level all along, if you know what I mean, but I cant seem to do that:- windows are 161 cm drop and door is 240 cm drop I am going to allow 10cm for the track - Could anyone advice me please to the best way to do this that will be pleasing to the eye?

Thank you

Kathy
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Re: Roman blind calculations

When I have had to do this I have simply juggled with the calculations until I've ended up with the same rod spacing on both blinds......quite time consuming! I would love to hear if anyone has a quicker method!
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

My take on this situation is to calculate the smaller side blinds first in the normal way - Then calculate the larger blinds working down from the top as opposed to up from the bottom, matching the calculations to the smaller blinds. You will have to adjust the bottom and add a smaller fold to compensate for the difference in length. You will still show the bottom bar as normal and level with the others, but you'll have a small fold hidden in the folds.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Kathy

I've played with the measurements and can't get exactly the same size folds on the window and the door blinds. I think to look right, assuming the top of the blinds will all be at the same level, you need to have the pleats the same sizes too. I've tried changing the track allowance in 1cm increments from 5cm to 10cm and every time it leaves about 1cm difference between the size of the blind folds on the doors or the windows.

The least difference I can get is using 5cm for the track, then for the window 6 whole folds of 24cm each and for the doors 9 whole folds of 24.7cm. Do you think a difference of 0.7cm will show ?
        Jane

Comment

Hi Jane

I see what your saying well done for working it out - can I get away with just allowing 5cm for track as the track is a 10cm drop for rotary chain headrail (not that I have used these before and will probably tie myself in a knot trying to work it out) lol...

Kathy
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

I have just had this exact dilemma - had to do 4 blinds side by side, one of which was a door.

I juggled the numbers for ages, not sure if I was just lucky, but I managed to get all the rods to line up. I kept recalculating the numbers by adjusting the top fold amount. In the end the top fold had about 8cm extra in it than normal, but it meant that all the blinds pulled up at the same level. It did mean that the blinds did not pull up as high as usual, which is important if a door is in use. In the end I added 5cm to the length of all the blinds, and mounted them 5cm higher to ensure that the tallest member of the household could use the door.

If the window blinds are not going exactly to sill and can drop below, then you may be able to add a cm or 2 to get the numbers to work out exactly.

Have not seen them installed, as client was doing themself, but they have E-mailed me to say they are very pleased with them.

Sue.

Comment

Hi

Thank you all that replied - I think I am sorted now - This is LA fabric!!, should of been finished by now, isnt it funny how you can find so many other things to do - rather than start something your not comfortable with!! never mind eh, I shall post pictures when finished
              (ps this is the same lady that still wants crushed velvet blinds for all those windows!!)

Kathy
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

Working...
              X