Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting roman blinds to doors

Hello,
    How easy is it to fit roman blinds to PVC doors, i have ever only fitted them to wooden doors, are there special fixings? , they seem quite hollow. Any information would be greatly appriciated thank you.

Kitty

Re: Fitting roman blinds to doors

My fitter has fitted them to UVPC doors without any problem but you are right in that the doors are hollow and you have to be extremely careful not to drill near to the glazing housing or this can cause the glass to become unstable; I don't know if he uses any special bits, I just think it is a bit fiddly.
    Yvonne

Comment

Hi,

I am always nervous to advise my clients to drill into a UPVC door. I have experimented in the past and had some success. I make a pocket in the top of the blind and insert a thin batten (similar to what you might use for the bottom hem). I then sew on rings just below this to take the place of the screw eyes, and attach the blind to the door using self adhesive Velcro. I use a cord locking device to avoid drilling into the door, instead of a cord cleat.

I have only done this with fairly light weight small blinds, but so far have not had anyone come back to say their blinds have fallen down, although I have replaced the self-adhesive Velcro when it started to come away after a couple of years for one client.

Hope this helps.

Sue.

Comment

Thank you soo much for your responses, yeah i didnt like the idea of drilling in to the door, but the velcro idea is genius, and will work fantastic because the blind will probably only be there for show.
        Thanks again . K

Comment

Hi Kitty,

I should add a correction to my previous post. I had planned to use a cord locking mechanism, but of course, when I came to it, there was no-where to screw it to as there is no proper depth wood batten at the top. What I used in the end were small self adhesive hooks to wind the cords around, I got these retail from a local hardware shop.

Sue.

Comment

I guess you could also use one of the spring-loaded cord locks - I think Schuhby mentioned them here http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.p...it=+lock#p1561
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Great suggestion Sue; would never of thought of that - I guess I am so used to just making the stuff I never really think about it from fitting point of view as I just pass it on to Tim. Will remember your helpful suggestion though. Thanks Sue.
              (P.S. I am having Tim to fit my own roman blind to my UPVC back door this weekend but I have done onto Deluxe Mechanism so he only has to drill bracket holes - fingers crossed)
              Yvonne

Comment

Working...
              X