Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piping on roman blinds

Hi
    I'm experimenting with different looks and wondered if any of you had successfully used piping on the outside edges of roman blinds? I can't seem to find any examples online and am wondering if this is because it negatively affects how the pleats lie? It is ready made piping on tape I have in mind, thank you

Re: Piping on roman blinds

Hello Alison

Firstly welcome to the forum - I saw a picture recently where the makers had piped the joins of a wide roman blind, this made a feature of necessary joins. You can pipe the joins and remove the piping leaving a flat contrasting seam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	piped roman.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	115231

Picture: Merrick & day
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for the welcome. So pleased I have found this site, have already learned a lot from browsing the forums.
      I'm assuming if piping doesn't affect how the blind hangs on vertical fabric joins on this blind them there's no reason the piping should affect it on the outside seams. Think I'm just going to have a stab at it and see how it looks/works perhaps hand stitching between the top fabric and lining.... Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Alisonlstephenson View Post
        Hi
        Thanks for the welcome. So pleased I have found this site, have already learned a lot from browsing the forums.
        I'm assuming if piping doesn't affect how the blind hangs on vertical fabric joins on this blind them there's no reason the piping should affect it on the outside seams. Think I'm just going to have a stab at it and see how it looks/works perhaps hand stitching between the top fabric and lining.... Wish me luck!
        I would have thought they would have used a cotton piping cord rather than a washable polyester piping cord as the cotton cord is more bendy.

Good luck, it would be nice to see a picture of the finished product.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

You can get a nylon rope from the haberdashery of JL and others in various thicknesses. It's easier to use this than piping, as there is much less risk of the machine stitches catching the piping, making it difficult to remove. We use this "hollow piping" often on blinds and curtains!
          Best of luck
          Gill

Comment

Originally posted by curtainqueen View Post
            You can get a nylon rope from the haberdashery of JL and others in various thicknesses. It's easier to use this than piping, as there is much less risk of the machine stitches catching the piping, making it difficult to remove. We use this "hollow piping" often on blinds and curtains!
            Best of luck
            Gill
            Hollow piping, Gill, what is this please?

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Isn't that just where you pipe using piping cord as usual and then pull the actual piping cord out so you get a flatter narrow trim
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Originally posted by Schuhby View Post
                Best of luck
                Gill
                Originally posted by Penny View Post
                Isn't that just where you pipe using piping cord as usual and then pull the actual piping cord out so you get a flatter narrow trim
                That makes perfect sense Penny... I didn't connect the two!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Yes I have some polyester piping in but it's very stiff so I see what you mean. I'm now thinking a flanged decorative cord might look better. Will post a pic when I'm done.

Comment

Also the hollow piping technique is new to me (I'm a newby) so I will have to practise with some scraps with it but sure it will come in useful. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

I have done a very narrow contrast piping between the main fabric and the border which looked really good, and didn't interfere at all, interlined as well.
                      I would think you would need to make a border of the main fabric on the back of the blind too so that you don't see the lining when it is folded up.
                      Janie

Comment

the green is a line that was piped, then the piping removed and the green then pressed flat, its an easy way to get a regular thin line of something!

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	115232

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I love this effect and great tip about using polyester cord so that it is easier to remove.
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

You learn something new every day. Great tip!

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	115256. Well I'm finally finished, I used a rope twist cord in the end. I'm pleased with how it looks but not sure it was worth the extra effort!

Comment

Working...
                              X