Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piping on roman blinds

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Piping on roman blinds

    Hi
    I'm experimenting with different looks and wondered if any of you had successfully used piping on the outside edges of roman blinds? I can't seem to find any examples online and am wondering if this is because it negatively affects how the pleats lie? It is ready made piping on tape I have in mind, thank you

  • #2
    Re: Piping on roman blinds

    Hello Alison

    Firstly welcome to the forum - I saw a picture recently where the makers had piped the joins of a wide roman blind, this made a feature of necessary joins. You can pipe the joins and remove the piping leaving a flat contrasting seam.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	piped roman.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	115231

    Picture: Merrick & day
    Have you registered your business yet?

    http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk


    A MyDecozo Directory

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Piping on roman blinds

      Hi
      Thanks for the welcome. So pleased I have found this site, have already learned a lot from browsing the forums.
      I'm assuming if piping doesn't affect how the blind hangs on vertical fabric joins on this blind them there's no reason the piping should affect it on the outside seams. Think I'm just going to have a stab at it and see how it looks/works perhaps hand stitching between the top fabric and lining.... Wish me luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Piping on roman blinds

        Originally posted by Alisonlstephenson View Post
        Hi
        Thanks for the welcome. So pleased I have found this site, have already learned a lot from browsing the forums.
        I'm assuming if piping doesn't affect how the blind hangs on vertical fabric joins on this blind them there's no reason the piping should affect it on the outside seams. Think I'm just going to have a stab at it and see how it looks/works perhaps hand stitching between the top fabric and lining.... Wish me luck!
        I would have thought they would have used a cotton piping cord rather than a washable polyester piping cord as the cotton cord is more bendy.

        Good luck, it would be nice to see a picture of the finished product.
        Have you registered your business yet?

        http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk


        A MyDecozo Directory

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Piping on roman blinds

          You can get a nylon rope from the haberdashery of JL and others in various thicknesses. It's easier to use this than piping, as there is much less risk of the machine stitches catching the piping, making it difficult to remove. We use this "hollow piping" often on blinds and curtains!
          Best of luck
          Gill

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Piping on roman blinds

            Originally posted by curtainqueen View Post
            You can get a nylon rope from the haberdashery of JL and others in various thicknesses. It's easier to use this than piping, as there is much less risk of the machine stitches catching the piping, making it difficult to remove. We use this "hollow piping" often on blinds and curtains!
            Best of luck
            Gill
            Hollow piping, Gill, what is this please?
            Have you registered your business yet?

            http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk


            A MyDecozo Directory

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Piping on roman blinds

              Isn't that just where you pipe using piping cord as usual and then pull the actual piping cord out so you get a flatter narrow trim
              Kindest Regards

              Penny

              Denton Drapes

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Piping on roman blinds

                Originally posted by Schuhby View Post
                You can get a nylon rope from the haberdashery of JL and others in various thicknesses. It's easier to use this than piping, as there is much less risk of the machine stitches catching the piping, making it difficult to remove. We use this "hollow piping" often on blinds and curtains!
                Best of luck
                Gill
                Originally posted by Penny View Post
                Isn't that just where you pipe using piping cord as usual and then pull the actual piping cord out so you get a flatter narrow trim
                That makes perfect sense Penny... I didn't connect the two!
                Have you registered your business yet?

                http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk


                A MyDecozo Directory

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Piping on roman blinds

                  Yes I have some polyester piping in but it's very stiff so I see what you mean. I'm now thinking a flanged decorative cord might look better. Will post a pic when I'm done.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Piping on roman blinds

                    Also the hollow piping technique is new to me (I'm a newby) so I will have to practise with some scraps with it but sure it will come in useful. Thanks for the tips.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Piping on roman blinds

                      I have done a very narrow contrast piping between the main fabric and the border which looked really good, and didn't interfere at all, interlined as well.
                      I would think you would need to make a border of the main fabric on the back of the blind too so that you don't see the lining when it is folded up.
                      Janie

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Piping on roman blinds

                        the green is a line that was piped, then the piping removed and the green then pressed flat, its an easy way to get a regular thin line of something!

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	115232

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Piping on roman blinds

                          Thanks for sharing, I love this effect and great tip about using polyester cord so that it is easier to remove.
                          Louise


                          sigpic Simply Sewing

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Piping on roman blinds

                            You learn something new every day. Great tip!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Piping on roman blinds

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	115256. Well I'm finally finished, I used a rope twist cord in the end. I'm pleased with how it looks but not sure it was worth the extra effort!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X