Lining wide roman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lining wide roman

I'm making a roman 192cm wide. Usually I would have 2 joins in the lining at the same positions down the sides as the fabric joins but I'm a bit concerned about doing that as the fabric's quite thick and I don't want to make it more bulky (the fabric ruckles dreadfully despite repeated ironing but that's another story!)

It's standard not blackout lining and I can't railroad it as the blind's too long. Is there any reason why I can't have one join in the lining down the middle?
    Jane

Re: Lining wide roman

Hi Jane

I would suggest you check to see if you can see through the fabric before putting the join in the middle.. If you can't see the seam through the fabric when the blind is down then there is no reason why you shouldn't put the join in the middle.. Be sure to iron your join in the same direction though to allow your rods to thread through easily.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Jane,

I agree with Philip, I have done this before but yes do make sure you can't see the join when the blind is down, also make sure that when the blind is up it doesn't make the middle where the join is a little bit bulky. I did do it with a blind one day, ok when down but when up you could see there was a bump in the middle of the blind - this was with thicker fabic. I changed this particular one back to the join being either end.
      Kindest Regards,
      Karen

Comment

Thanks guys....nice to have a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion. Have gone with centre seam on lining and luckily it falls down a stripe in the fabric and is well hidden.
        Not worried about a bulge in the middle coz it's such dreadfully lumpy fabric (Malabar Lanta), that will just not iron out, that it won't show if there is one.
        Jane

Comment

Personally I would still not join any lining in the middle bacaue the centre point is always where your eye is drawn to. I think it looks neater from the oustide looking in if the joins are either side but I guess it depends how fussy you are.
          Karen Rhodes
          Karen Rhodes Design
          Pole Design

Comment

Joins are un-sightly no matter where there are - but I fail to see why a well done join in the middle can be any worse then two joins either side of a full width - The middle cord will hide the seam anyway. Do what you need to do to make life easier for yourself while producing a professional item. Just because it isn't detailed in a book, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Karen I know you well.. You are fussy!
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I think you have to treat each job individually based on the design and fabric you're dealing with. On this job, I was fussy enough to consider the effect joins in the lining on top of joins in the fabric would have on the finished look of the blind rather than going by the book. And, given the centre join cannot be seen at all but would have added bulk to the side joins, I think it was the right thing to do.
              Jane

Comment

Hi Jane, I always make up according to individual clients. I do a sneaky assesment of their house and try to decipher how fussy they are, and I usually find that I am more fussy than my clients so if I'd be happy to have a join in the centre then they probably would too.

If the window is too wide for a width of lining then you need a join, this is not your fault and you're not a magician so why should you have to pretend it's not there. You may find joining at the sides shows through too! whatever gets the job off your table quickest without compromising quality of the finished result I'd say.
                Kim

Comment

We're making 15 roman blinds for a house at the moment, and the windows are all around 141-144cm wide, and the fabrics around 140cm. So of course, we're having to cut the centre panel down just to allow the two side pieces to be wide enough. We're french lining most of them, so the lining seams aren't so critical, but it's still a pain! And of course it doubles the cost of the fabric for the client.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen,
                    What is 'french lining' please?
                    Thanks
                    Sharon

Comment

French lining, or rather French interlining is where there is face fabric, interlining, black lining then ordinary lining on the back. It gives a blackout effect without having to use blackout lining, so no pin holes.
                      Kind regards
                      Pen Harrison

Comment

Hi Pen, Is that ordinary black lining as in a cotton sateen lining in black???. Also do you trim your interlining& black lining back to the exact width of the roman blind to avoid bulk when the blind folds up..or do you fold into the sidelays??

I'm always wary of the bulk in the sidelays of the blinds So your advise would be fab
                        Tam

Comment

Originally posted by thecurtainmaker
                          We're making 15 roman blinds for a house at the moment, and the windows are all around 141-144cm wide, and the fabrics around 140cm. So of course, we're having to cut the centre panel down just to allow the two side pieces to be wide enough. We're french lining most of them, so the lining seams aren't so critical, but it's still a pain! And of course it doubles the cost of the fabric for the client.
                          Would the client like a contrasting boarder to the edges?

Comment

Thanks Pen

Comment

There are fifteen blinds altogether in the house, plus dress curtains for most windows. They've been specified by a designer, who doesn't know (or doesn't need to care) about fabric widths. If it was one off and me measuring, I would suggest contrast borders.
                              Kind regards
                              Pen Harrison

Comment

Working...
                              X