Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for advice

Dear Roman-Blind Makers

I am going to start to make my first Roman Blinds and since it is going to be a big project (doing them for my new home) I would like to kindly ask you your advice:

The finished length shall be 130cm
    As shown in the (marvelous!) Mydecozo video, I would like to divide the length into 7.
    The headrail allowance is 6cm
    So it would be 130cm - 6cm = 124cm ./. 7 = 17.71

My question now: Shall I make the sections 17cm and except of the last which I would do 18 cm in order to get to 130cm after adding 6cm for the headrail allowance...?

Also I do have a question regarding the fiberglass rods being used:
    Which diameter should I use in order to get a safe hold?
    (The width of the finished blind is going to be 121cm)

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback & help!!!

Best regards,
    Daphni

Re: Asking for advice

Hi Daphni,

Yes, I'd go with that calculation - as it's your first, I'd keep it simple. The extra centimetre won't make a significant difference (OK everyone, shoot me now!).

The best fibreglass rods to use are the 4mm diameter ones which are readily available (from Merrick & Day and others). As I'm sure you know, they're a bit of a beast to cut, and I would recommend winding some sticky tape round the cutting point to avoid getting fibres into your fingers.

Good luck! Wish I'd had Philip's video when I started making blinds many moons ago!

Comment

Dear Jackie!

Thank you very much for your quick reply and tipps!
      Yes, the video actually made me want to make the blinds on my own! It explains so wonderfully how to make the blind! Really great work! Ab big thank you to the MyDecozo Team!

I do have another question: the "bottom drop", meaning the last (lowest) section of the blind, should be rather a little longer than shorter than the previous (upper) sections, shouldn't it?

And: I just found out that the headrail allowance is 5,25 in my case; but I can still keep the 6cm, can't I? I personally find it more convenient to work with clear numbers...

Again thank you very much!

Best regards,
      Daphni

Comment

On a standard roman the bottom section should be half the drop of the other rod spaces (not the top space which includes the extra heading allowance).
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Some makers do go over the top with their headrail allowances but I have noticed that where you do that you can end up with the top fold being longer than the one underneath when the blind is fully raised. How many clients will raise a blind until the stack is even? Not many - they usually like to pull it up as far as it will go. I always use a 5cm headrail allowance which works with all the cassette headrails that I have used and also my 34mm battens with screw eyes in.

Maz

Comment

34mm, Maz? Is that 2" x 1" PSE?? Or something a little more bespoke? Do you use the china cord guides, or screw eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
              34mm, Maz? Is that 2" x 1" PSE?? Or something a little more bespoke? Do you use the china cord guides, or screw eyes?
              Sorry it's nothing posh Jackie. My battens used to come from B&Q and I bought the 18x34mm for face fixing (keeps the blind flat to the wall) and the 34x34mm for recess fixing (gives you something to drill up through and the depth isn't an issue with recess fixing). A friend of mine had a timber merchants so I now get them from her but the B&Q ones are obviously available everywhere. It's good if you have a real fire or a log burner though - you will always get some dodgy bits and it's good to have a use for them.

I have seen all sorts of ways of making battens - some people go to the trouble of having a batten like my 18x34 but then they use it with the small face against the wall and have to use L shaped brackets as well. Can't see the point in that myself - the blind is too far away from the wall and you have to have different headrail allowance for each type of batten / headrail.

I use 34mm screw eyes from M&D with my battens which as I said all adds up to a 5cm headrail allowance once they are screwed in - this is also ideal for cassette headrails.

Face fix battens are then covered in face fabric as the ends are visible, recess battens are covered in lining to blend with the back of the blind. Simples.

Maz

Comment

Working...
              X