Roman blind to fit in recess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman blind to fit in recess

Hi there, can someone please help!! I am making a Roman blind for a customer and she would like it to fit in the recess of her window, ive only made the other type (Outside recess) before and scared it might not fit ( Thats even before i make it!!!) As she is a internet customer and lives in London and im in Lancashire, i cant go round and measure myself, so the measurements she has give me do i make the blind to that size or do i make it narrower?? Many thanks Jenny xx

Re: Roman blind to fit in recess

Hi Jenny

I'd imagine she's given you the final sizes she would like the blind finishing too, if you're not comfortable starting the blinds, I'd suggest you drop her a confirmation email confirming the details of the blind. You could say this is a follow up email and that she should reply confirming what you have written and make it clear in the email that her confirmation is considered acceptance of the details.

Put in the email that the measurements given are the final measurements that the blind will made too.. She'll put you right if need be.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Phillip, thankyou for the advice, I think i will e-mail her again, This website is fantastic, the people are so helpful, credit to the Creator!! many thanks Jenny xx :P

Comment

Hi Jenny,

Philip is right get the client to confirm their measurements. FYI I normally make a Roman Blind to fit inside a recess 2cm less than the narrowest measurement across the width, and exactly the drop from top to sill.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue thanks for your reply yes i think I will do it 2cm narrower, not making the blind til next week but I will let you know how I go on, Im dreading it Fingers crossed, Jenny xx

Comment

I think it is easiest to get the recess measurements, then adjust the blind size. Get the customer to measure the width at top, middle and bottom, and the length at each side and the middle.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hello all, had a very bad weekend on the blind got the measurements right width and lenght, but i was using a seersucker gingham and blackout lining which i had to piece which went fine, but i dont like the look of the 2 fabric together ,the seersucker really i think is to limp to go with a rubbery blackout lining, ive made blinds before and not had this problem, the reason why customer asked for seersucker is because i make babies nursery sets (Quilts, bumpers for cradle, cot, cotbed) with theses fabric, which is a lovely soft fabric, but dont think its for a roman blind!

The problem was i couldt get the 2 fabrics smooth enough for when i sew my rod pockets on, and didnt want to put tacking stitches in as they dont heal when you remove them. So ive given up ahhhh after pulling my hair out as well .

Ive decided not to waste any more time on the blind and refund my customer ive already made a cotbed set , cotbed valance, cot tidy and nappy stacker for her, so might have to refund the full payment

Does anyone else have problems with fabric that are not suited for blinds, ive really tried and never give up usually!!

Jenny xx

Comment

Hi Jenny

I think we all have fabric issues now and then, and I know I often want to throw stuff in the bin and refund customers.You are not alone! Try using a length of B/O lining as an interlining and then sew your rob pockets in to a length of cotton lining, this is easier than sewing pockets in to blackout lining.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Phillip, yes that would be a good idea, you know i really hate blackout lining and i think it knows!!!

I am that busy making the nursery sets now, i think curtain making will take a back seat for a while!! But i will carry on with my courses at colledge and still make them for my house but its knocked my confidence a little But thank you for your advice, i think this forum is excellent and the people are too credit to you , take care Jenny xx

Comment

I also hate blackout lining. I would french line a roman - fabric, interlining, black lining together (the interlining stops the colour of the black lining affecting the fabric colour), then sateen lining. Although much more work (which the customer pays for) you don't get the problems of the holes in blackout lining of the stiffness of it affecting the face fabric.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I find using the venus dimout lining from Edmund Bell solves this problem. I use it as standard in romans and because the stitch holes self heal unlike 3 pass, there is no light bleed. It light and soft enough to use as an interliner on its own if necessary. Its is not totally blackout this way, but when used with a good quality interlining proves itself worthy for this purpose.

Samples are available if you request them direct from Edmund Bell.

Comment

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear you have had problems with your blind after all that worry about the size of it.

I too use the Edmund Bell Venus Dim-out fabric as an interliner for Romans. It is not as has been previously said totally black-out but good enough for most requirements. I have also used 3-pass as a lining and sewn the rod channels into the lining. I use the Supersoft Black-out from Evans. I do not stitch visible machine lines along the pockets just either stab stitch at the point of the rings, or interlock inside the blind along the rod pockets. This should not leave holes that are too visible.

Good Luck, I would persevere with it, just in case you are required to refund the whole combo which would be a shame.

Sue.

Comment

Hi
                          I too have the same predicament, I made a nursery blind last year, the client wanted me to make it from a duvet cover with a bear on that she had already got one set of for the cot etc but had bought a second for the blind, it was a complete nightmare, even had to call the client round to have a look as the fabric moved, it was scew all the time and even discovered that the duvet had bits sewn together with different thicknesses and textures and it was just a complete nightmare, on top of that client wanted it hung from a huge dowell then hung from huge cup hooks from the ceiling, looked awful, but what the customer wants, gets!!!

She then eventually had her baby after months of waiting then after not being in contact rang me 3 weeks before Christmas and wanted 6 romans made along with a pair of 3 width curtains for french windows, saying that had family coming and was desperate.

This really knocked my confidence as she was not very nice, and very shocked when I declined to make them!!!!

I now have a blind to make for my sisters nursery and they want it blackout lined, which as others have said I hate, would it be any better with interlining, would it be as good as blackout?????

look forward to your answers
                          smiley

Comment

Hi smiley

I made a few blinds lately by sandwiching the black out lining inside (as you would interlining) and then using normal lining for the back, works well.

Hope that helps

Kathy
                            K W Designs
                            Bournemouth

Comment

Working...
                            X