Roman Blinds with border, using bonded inter/lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Blinds with border, using bonded inter/lining

Please could someone tell me if I'm heading in the right direction?

I'm replacing my four conservatory blinds which slant at the top, in line with the sloping roof.

The longest drop is 275cm and they will be 90cms wide.
    I am using a Laura Ashley fabric which is 51% Linen and 49% cotton and making them with a 4cm side border and a 10cm bottom border of a darker fabric of 62% cotton and 38% Polyester, and bonded inter/lining which I understand is rubbish for curtains but works ok with Romans. I am planning on using bias-binding type rod pockets and stitching through lining and top fabric, but will only be able to sew them to within 4cm of the edges as otherwise the lighter bobbin thread will show on the darker border.

1) I am a bit over-whelmed by the thought of over 18m of hand-sewing (RSI from years of pounding a keyboard) so would the bag method would work?

2) What other glitches can I look forward to?

Looking forward to your wisdom!

Best wishes
    Sam
    Best wishes
    Samantha

Re: Roman Blinds with border, using bonded inter/lining

You should be okay with the pockets (and rods) just the width of the lighter fabric. My pockets general stop 2cm short of the edges Otherwise you will have to stop at the edge of the border and change bobbin threads, which will be a bit of a pain!
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Re: Roman Blinds with border, using bonded inter/lining

Thanks Pen - I'll give it a go.

I could make the border only 3cm but then it would feel as though it's hardly worth all the extra labour when the reality is that I would have liked it even wider - and it would have saved me half the cost of the fabric as I could have got 2 drops out of each width. Oh well, we live and learn!

I'll have to sit down and plan my cutting very carefully

Thanks for your input Pen - much appreciated!

Sam
      Best wishes
      Samantha

Comment

Working...
      X