Rotary Romans in a Square Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Romans in a Square Bay

I've been asked by a client to quote for making 3 roman blinds and a pelmet to fit in a square bay. She's asked for rotary chain rather than the old fashioned cord method which is all I've ever used. I was planning to make the central window blind the widest and then make the two side window blinds slightly narrower than the width of the side windows so they almost butt up against the central one. Do I need to allow space at the end of the blinds for the rotary mechanism and if so, how much?
    Jane

Re: Rotary Romans in a Square Bay

Hi Jane

I have as yet not used the rotery systems but i dont think i would make the middle the longest. I would find out the size of the track meaning the depth, so you can put them at right angles as if you were putting them in the corners of the bay and see how much of a gap to leave between, you can ask the company who is supplying them. I think that is right!!!! if you can understand.

Irene

Comment

There is some info on measuring bays for romans here [urlnew:1iq86j40]http://www.romanblinds.com/qa/measuring.htm[/urlnew:1iq86j40] that you might find useful. Also here [urlnew:1iq86j40]http://www.yourblinds.com/education/how_to_measure.asp[/urlnew:1iq86j40] if you look down the page to the bay window section.

Do you know which rotary system you will be using? Most of them have the mechanism set in from the end of the track behind the body of the blind so do not affect the blind itself. If you can, order a track so you can see it and understand how it works to put your mind at rest, they are not complicated.

Also, find out if they are to be face or top fix, and the projection of the brackets so you can allow for this when you calculate the blind widths. If possible, get the tracks fitted in place before you finally measure - you will need to allow a little clearance where the tracks meet so that when all the blinds are up the folds from one blind do not catch on the one next to it.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Jane
        You do not have to make an allowance for the chain mechanism as it is included in the width of the track
        I would make the centre blind the widest, but then for the side windows, it depends if is just glass or if there is some wall aswell. If there is wall then I would make the side ones slightly larger than the glass.
        I would also take into account any allowance needed to clear window handles if there are any
        What track are you thinking of using? I have a Silent Gliss one here at the moment and could let you know the projection from the wall if it is face fixed.
        Cheers
        Clark

Comment

Thanks for the info/comments re the rotary mechanism. As I've never used these before, I'll buy a kit rather than in components. Was going to buy the Deluxe Rotary Chain headrail system from M&D unless anyone has better advice.

The bay's already got a pelmet board in place. I was going to do face fix, about where the existing curtain track is but adding a small square of wood at the end of the existing wood fascia (about where the rings are at the far left of the picture) so the headrail fixing could go right at the end of the headrail but now I'm thinking top fix to the pelmet board would be easier......what do you think? I've always thought face fix would be more secure than top fix (pulling at an angle being less likely to pull the fixings out than pulling directly opposite the way they've gone in.....or am I talking rubbish??)
          Jane

Comment

helps if I add the photo I've got doesn't it [attachment=0:2jyrni34]Bay blind & pelmet fixings.JPG[/attachment:2jyrni34]
            Jane

Comment

Hi Jane
              Looking at your picture I think I would top fix if that pelmet board has enough projection
              Regards
              Clark

Comment

The pelmet projects by 13cm so I think I'll go with top fix to the pelmet.
                Jane

Comment

Working...
                X