Romans over 2m drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romans over 2m drop

I have been asked to make 2 roman blinds for a kitchen where both drops are around 210cm. I haven't tackled romans this long before and wondered if anyone had any tips or pitfalls to look out for? Also, suggestions on rod spacing.

Thanks.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Romans over 2m drop

Hi Louise

Long blinds are easy enough, it's the wide blinds that become a problem.. 210cm drop, minus your head rail depth and divide the remainder by 11 - This will give you a nicely spaced blind and ample folds for this length of blind. I'd also use a chain mechanism for such a long blind, basic cording will mean metres of the stuff on the floor when the blind is pulled up.

Using my rails:

210cm drop minus 6cm headrail equals 204cm.

204cm divide 11 equals 18.54cm

1st pocket at 18.5cm ... and so on..

See here for calculating spacing.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I made a pair a little while ago which were 200cm long. Pleats were 26cm apart. I used wooden batton/cord/eyelet but agree with Philip that rotary might have been better - there is miles of cord. The customer has said she's very pleased with them though. [attachment=0:1p2bhjg6]long romans.JPG[/attachment:1p2bhjg6].
      Jane

Comment

Hi Louise,

I've also made Romans that were just over 2m long and agree with the others, no problem really! I had 5 rods/11 spaces of around 18.5cm (they were the stripey blinds in the photo of the hidden tab top sheers a few months ago). My client didn't want chain operated blinds as she didn't like the noise they make so I used a cord lock system and we also added a cleat to wrap the excess cord around.

Cheers
        Sue

Comment

With a long drop blind you can make ther rod pocket spacing longer than with short drop blinds.

As a rule of thumb I might make a short drop blind say 100cm rod pockets 20cm apart and with anything over 220cm long maybe 40cm apart. Thats a generalisation as it all depends on the light, height of ceiling etc. I recently made blinds 254cm long and I wish I had made the pocket spacing more generous as I believs it has to be in proportion with the window and a skimpy drop of fabric (when in upright poistion) on a 250cm drop blind can look a bit odd as can a huge flap of fabric at the top of a 100cm drop blind.
          Karen Rhodes
          Karen Rhodes Design
          Pole Design

Comment

Thanks for all your replies....I will play with the rod spacing as that is my concern. The room is 3m+ high and the windows each around 213cm drop from the ceiling, but only about 120cm wide. The customer wants cords and cleats, and also not to block out too much light when the blind is up. Although the windows are tall, they are leaded and have a central stone support (sorry, don't know the correct architectural name), and they are on a shady side of the house.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I always calculate the spacings and then add the head rail to this figure before making the final decision on spacing - This gives me an indication of how much window will be covered when the blinds are pulled up.

eg: 1st pocket 18.5cm plus 6cm headrail - With the ring the blind will pull up to 25.5cm.

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Don't know about long romans, Louise, but is the word 'mullions' the one you were looking for.? Stone bits for support between windows? hey, P we could have a crossword in this.

Enid

Comment

Yes Enid - that's the one, have checked Wikipedia for 'mullion' and find these windows also have stone transoms which when combined with the leading actually reduce the glazed area of the windows quite a bit!
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

As the saying goes, you learn something new every day.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                    X