Dry Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Cleaning

Although I was trained in this businesss - many years ago. I am new to the making of Roman Blinds, and need your experience ..................

Firstly, is black out lining Dry Cleanable ? and are plastic cord rings Dry Cleanable ? p.s I'm was really excited to found the Forum - and just know you are going to be invaluable to me - thank you

Re: Dry Cleaning

Hi Jackie - glad you found us and posted.

Some blackout is stated as washable on a synthetic programme, and also dry cleanable - it would depend on which one you bought. The supplier should be able to confirm for you (or the catalogue listing if you have access to one from the supplier).

No idea about the plastic rings - it might be hard to establish, some are polycarbonate and others different plastics.

I would hesitate to dry clean or wash roman blinds in case the face fabric and lining reacted differently and distorted.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

thank you so much for all your advice Liouse - so in the norm Roman Blinds are not cleanable ?

Comment

I wouldn't encourage my customers to think they could remove rods etc. and get the blind cleaned in case the fabric/lining shrank/moved against each other. The layers of a curtain have some movement but a blind does not as it is stitched on all four sides and at the rod positions.

You do hear stories of curtains reacting badly to being cleaned too sometimes.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have to agree with Louise, almost every pair of curtains that I have seen after they have been dry cleaned never look the same. The headings and hems always look a bit wonky (very technical term) and the fabric is not as crisp. When a customer asks if they can be dry cleaned, I tell them that the fabric is dry cleanable but I personally don't recommend it. Just give them a light vacuum on the low setting with the brush attachment or run a lint roller over them occasionally. No amount of dry cleaning will bring back the colour from sun damage, and if they are really bad its probably time for some new ones.

Wendy

Comment

I'd also say if vacuuming curtains or blinds, stretch something over the nozzle, a piece of loose weave linen or an old pair or tights, this will prevent the fabrics being sucked up the hose.
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Just to prove to my DH that it really is time we invested in some new curtains for our living room - we have 3 pairs which are over 20 years old and have a dachshund height tidemark along the bottom - I recently took one curtain to be dry cleaned. Not only has it shrunk by about 5 cm, the heading is all skew-whiff (another technical term!) and the fabric is floppy. DH has reluctantly conceded that I might have a point....
              CatherineL
              Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

Working...
              X