Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspired by Penny's linen cascading roman blind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspired by Penny's linen cascading roman blind...

Which I think looks much nicer than a traditional roman blind, so i now wish to try this method.

Now i'm assuming the only difference is in calculating the folds/pleats - whatever you want to call them. Can anyone enlighten me here with a formula for this? Or put me right if i've got the whole thing wrong............ again, lol.
    Chris

Re: Inspired by Penny's linen cascading roman blind...

Can someone clarify this question,,, I have made a cascade roman blind but am still a little cofuzzled about the calculations..... Is there a set formula??? The majority fo my blinds are made the conventional way = equal folds.
    I know you have to add 5cm or 2" to each rod pocket but am still cofuzzled

I have one to make @ 151.5cm drop with an appliqued bottom edge so I would like to see the detail at the bottom. Is it acceptable to allow a longer bottom edge and the rest of the blind in equal folds??

Ta!

Comment

Hi Tam

I recently made romans with colonial bottoms, I made them with equal folds and add extra to the bottom fold so the shaping would always be on show. The attached picture shows blinds from the Malabar website which is where I took my inspiration from. To cascade the blind would detract from the bottom shaping and make the blind overly fussy.... in my humble opinion..

The best formular for making cascade blinds is... Don't! they ain't nice... Again, my humble opinion.

Philip
      [attachment=0:2wd1lm62]red1.jpg[/attachment:2wd1lm62]
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hello Tam

I have made several romans as you describe, with a contrast panel at the bottom that shows when the blind is raised rather than a shaped hem, the other folds fall behind each other as normal.

They are not difficult to calculate, try this

Overall finished drop of blind - eg. 151cm
        Take away top allowance for cord guides/rotary mechanism - eg. 6cm
        Take away amount of the contrast/shaped/trimmed bottom edge you want to show when blind is raised - eg. 10cm
        Remaining amount is what you divide into rod spaces - eg. 135cm

Then when you make the blind, remember to add the 10cm back on to the bottom section when calculating the rod pockets.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks to everyone, oooo youre a fab bunch you really are!

The photos are exactly what I had in mind with the contrast border along the bottom edge just slightly showing So I will go with what I normally do, you have all put my mind at ease.

Now this bottom border is applique' flowers on a white background,the blind is sweetpea pink, do you think it would look nice slightly padded? Different I know, but the client has left the spec totally up to me and I have never attempted it before.

If you were to pad the border, is it best to use wadding on a blind or thick interlining as I was going to do??

Comment

If you pad it, you would distort the shape - it would rise in the middle. I would just use interfacing.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I used loomstate cotton canvas when I made mine and found it worked very well.
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
              X