Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sag in wide roman blind

Dear All

This is my first post here - i am looking for some help with a wide roman blind - it is 138 cm wide and its currently hanging in my living room.

The problem I have is that it sags perfectly once raised - yet I would prefer it to be straight across.

I started with 5 rods but added a further 2 in an attempt to help this sag - but - all it has done is reduce it.

I have yet to take the blind down and inspect every single sewing stitch but having measured it whilst hanging the rod distance seems to be fine.

Also the fabric is cotton/ linen mix, not very heavy

Any ideas anyone or is it impossible to avoid this sag with the width of the blind it all looks a bit higily-pigildy!

I have made a matching blind which is 62cm wide and has a lovely finish, once raised it is perfectly straight so would like to achieve the same look on this larger one ... any tips on what i can do?

Thanks
    Shirley

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09350.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	116463

Re: Sag in wide roman blind

Do you mean one side pulls up higher than the other - or that the middle sags compared to the outside edges? Or is it that the folds do not stack neatly behind each other?

138cm is not extremely wide for a roman. I would suggest either your rod pockets are not 100% parallel and/or not evenly spaced, or that the cords are not evenly drawn up.

Is it fixed to a wooden batten or on a rotary track? If it's on a track the cords can sometimes get out of sync and not draw up evenly.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise

It is on a wooden batten and it sags around the middle rather neatly like a gentle swag yet i was a straight line. It seems to look different every time I raise it. I have yet to take it down and inspect fully - its only one doing this

Comment

Hi there,
        I would say that you probably havent got enough cord drops on the back, how far apart are they now ?

Comment

I agree with Helen. You may not have enough cords on the blind. We would normally place them no more than 30cms apart.
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I have 7 for a 138cm width

Comment

Hello

7 cord drops isn't necessary for this width, I'd say no 3 or 4 depending on the fabric weight. Have you stab stitched through all fabrics below each ring?

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

With that amount of cords drops on that size blind that is problematic and bowing in the middle may mean that the side cord drops are pulling up at a different rate that the central cord drops for some reason, or the stab stitches aren't holding the face fabric in the right places as Philip mentions.

Comment

As your blind is on a wooden batten and you have checked the rod pocket spacing and stab stitches (I'm slightly confused about how you added the extra rod pockets) then it sounds like the cords are not evenly tensioned and it is the outside cords only that are taking the weight. I send a lot of my blinds out by post / courier and rely on my clients to tension the cords properly - they get detailed instructions - but to be on the safe side I always use a rigid weighted pole in the lowest rod pocket as this means it's not possible for the bottom rod to sag and the other folds should just stack up neatly on top. If it's not the cord tension then I have no other ideas. Maz

Comment

Thanks for all the replies - I started with 5 rods because I thought it was a golden rule to always cord 30cm and under? Tomorrow I am going to take it down and assess all points raised - but Phillip are you saying I could just have 3 or 4 cords?

Thanks
                    Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley

I'd say 4 but you could get away with 3 if it's not a heavy blind.. I tend to work out my stab sticthes and then cord accordingly. Check your stab stitches are going through all fabrics, and under every ring. Make sure all cords are tensioned equally and most importly perfectly vertical with the cord drops on your batten.

Golden rule number one, don't make extra work for yourself...

Good luck!
                      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi there again,
                        Are you getting your rod pockets mixed up with your cord drops ??? What is the drop of the finished blind ?

Comment

It is nearly eight years since the last post in this thread but I just thought I'd thank everyone here because yesterday you helped us fix our roman blind.

This was professionally made for us four years ago and until the new year holiday it worked a treat. Then one morning we pulled it up and there was an annoying 8cm sag in the middle.

We've had roman blinds of various types for 20 years and quickly cancelled out loose/broken cords.

Self-isolation (because of the coronavirus) gave us time to take the blind down to look at what was happening.

We held the blind in our hands and pulled it up and down several times. We laid it flat on the carpet and puzzled for 20min over what it could be, working through all the suggestions here.

Then the phrase "stab stitches" jumped out. We used a couple of pins on the guilty fold and, hey, it worked! My wife then got out her needle and thread and replaced the pins.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Thanks William - so glad we could help, especially at a time when you really needed to solve this yourselves.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                            X