spacing between roman blinds in bay windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spacing between roman blinds in bay windows

hello, can any one please suggest whether there is a standard guide for spacing between roman blinds in a bay window ? does it depend on the angle? I have just tried to fit 3 blinds in a bay window. The drop is 209 cm and the blinds are cascading and interlined with domette 260g. The client wanted no 'gaps' . they were perfect when down, when raised the blinds were too close and pushing each others folds out ( does this make sense ?) I have had to bring the two smaller blinds home thinking that the only solutions is to make them 2.5 cm narrower, this means that there will now be a space between the blinds. Is this the only solution ?
    The blinds are being face fixed to the window frame.
    f.e.e.

Re: spacing between roman blinds in bay windows

Are you using wood battens or a headrail system?
    I would suggest because they are so long on the drop when folded up the fabric has no where to go other than forward pushing the blind forward.
    You need to leave enough space between the window and front of the blind for all the folds to stack, either use a 1" x 2" batten or use extension brackets, bug I'm afraid you will have to reduce the size if the blinds
    Phil Lewis
    Shades Window Blinds

Comment

there isn't a standard spacing, it does depend on the angle. And yes, there will be a gap between the blinds.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi!

Pen is right, there will be a gap between the blinds when they are down. I posted some pics in the gallery of a bay window that I did with roman blinds and I had a 2cm gap between the battens. When the blinds were up they touched and when they down there was a gap.

http://www.mydecozo.co.uk/showthread...725-Bow-Window

There is also this guide on measuring for bay windows:
        http://www.yourblinds.com/education/how_to_measure.asp

If you scroll down near to the bottom there is the guide to measuring bay windows.

Comment

Thank you all. It has been an expensive learning curve! Am going to reduce the 2 outside blinds by 2 cm, and the client has accepted that there need to be a space ! I have just measured up a sun room where all blinds are on an angle 6 sides to the room. this client also wanted no gaps between the blinds at the top , so I think I will readvise that the best way is for a small gap, these blinds are 172 drop but not cascading. Does it make any diffeence that they don't cascade ?

Comment

I've managed to happily make blinds iin bay windows that sit together when down, as long as you leave enough space between the face fabric and the window frame for the blind to stack back into it should be fine. If you are using a wooden batten you can put your screw eyes closer to the window to draw the fabric back when it is up.
            Phil Lewis
            Shades Window Blinds

Comment

Hi

I am making three interlined (bonded blackout) cascade roman blinds to fit into a square bay. The large blind measures approx 230 wide and 125 drop and has been made to fit the window, with the two smaller blinds being made minus depth of headrail, etc to fit in front of the main blind.
              I am wondering how much I need to deduct (2CM?) from the width of these smaller blinds to allow for clearance of the main blind pleats when they are pulled up? As they are in a square bay I thought there may be a standard measurement for clearance, unlike a splayed bay which depends on the angles.
              Last edited by jasmine; 22 November 2011, 09:25.

Comment

There is no easy solution, I have been fairly fortunate that all the blinds I have ever made for bays have been OK. I always point out in advance, that if the blinds are too close together they will 'clash' at the top (although usually all that's needed is a gentle flatten with the palm of the hand), and that a gap between the blinds is necessary to enable them to rise and fall smoothly. I always use wooden battens and always take two small offcuts with me when I go to measure. That way I can simulate the way the battens need to be fitted. If the sill of the bay is the same as the ceiling, you can do all this fiddling around on the sill rather than the ceiling - it's much easier.

debsdrapes - be careful of the side blinds, if it is a square bay, if they are set too far into the bay, you may be able to see all the workings and fittings behind them (some modern bays don't have sides), so if that's the case set those as near to the sides as possible.

Sue.

Comment

Thanks for your help Sue... your a star! Seems like it's down to careful measuring and a bit of experience. I had already considered taking some off cuts with me when I went to measure, but decided not to... but will definitely be doing this in future.

Comment

I always set the window measurements out on the workroom table with pins and then cut and measure the headrails, just to make sure they'll fit. Easy to do, and eases any nagging worries about the length of the headrails. It's inevitable that there will be a slight gap for ease if the blinds are to operate smoothly.

Comment

Can I just check that I understand this. If the blinds are set a little forward from the windows, they will sit 'nicely' side by side, as the folds will draw up behind the face fabric, but if there isn't the room for that, they will push forward, which narrows the gap and pushes the blinds into each other? Difficult to explain on text. I made roman blinds for a corner window at my previous house, and I did have terrible trouble getting them to sit right. In the end, I made one of them (at the side) narrower, so when drawn up, it sat 'in front' of the blind at a 90 degree angle.
                      Chris

Comment

Just another tip if you are using roman tracks, I keep small offcuts and put them up in situ with a bit of white coloured bluetac to get the accurate measurement.
                        Janie

Comment

Using offcuts is an excellent tip for working out where abouts to fit the tracks etc, but it does not show how much clearance needs to be made for the pleats when the blinds are up, to prevent them getting caught up with the other blinds pleats, so I guess this calculation is guess work? Am I correct in thinking that so long as there is sufficient space behind the blind for the pleats to stack back, the pleats shouldn't push forward from the headrail much and so about 1-2cm clearance should be sufficient?
                          Last edited by jasmine; 23 November 2011, 13:22.

Comment

Debbie
                            I think you are worrying unnecessarily about this. No matter what gap you have at the bottom when the blinds are down, the blinds folds will always be touching eachother when pulled up. Just as Sewmad says.......This is not wrong but just the way it is when fitting blinds that go into a restricted area like a bay window.
                            Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Working...
                            X