Tension rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tension rods

I know there's at least a couple of you that have done roman blinds for velux windows, so hopefully I can stop stressing.

Might I ask what did you use for the tension rods at each side of the blind? I've been trying to use picture wire, but simply can't get it tight enough to hold the blind as taught as necessary (although the lambrequin will help a little). I can't help thinking that some type of rigid tension rod would work better, but heaven knows what to use and how to fix it?

Can anyone shed any light on how to solve my problem please?
    Chris

You can get tensioned wires from Hunter & Hyland, they have fittings so that the wires can be kept taught.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen. Having looked at their website, I'm a little lost. Not sure what I need. I've seen their brass curtain tension wire systems, but that seems to be a whole system (quite expensive too) and I can't 'translate' that to what I'm trying to do (if you see what I mean). OH suggests a 'barrel tensioner' but they seem quite large.
      Chris

Comment

That sounds interesting Pen - do you know any more details? I have checked their website but can't see anything.......
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

OH has now suggested 'turnbuckles' to get the tension, they're only £2 each, so have ordered a couple and will let you know how it works out.
          Chris

Comment

Louise,
            I saw it mentioned on an online retail pole suppliers site - google Tension curtain wires. There must be other suppliers of similar systems.

Flooz, give them a ring - I'm sure they will help you.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison

Comment

Thanks Pen - found them. Seen similar to hang lightweight curtains from. I wonder if the brackets/fittings would be a bit big for the average Velux window?
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I'm sure you could use other brackets, or even hooks, once the wire is looped at each end.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison

Comment

If you get stuck this came up in February - there are a couple of companies who will make these for you..... Velux romans or this.
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise. I've already made the roman blind, it's just how to get it hanging as nice as possible on the velux, and I am currently making a lambrequin to go round which may solve some of the issues too. My only problem with this is, of course, when it comes to cleaning the window - everything (I think) is going to have to be taken down to allow the window to be turned round. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I might not even be living here by then
                    Chris

Comment

At least you haven't got a customer breathing down your neck then! I'd be interested in hearing how you get on.....
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I'll post a pic once it's all done Louise.

The window is quite high up and rarely gets cleaned (embarrassed smiley) (looks like none of the previous tenants have EVER cleaned it)! It's lovely and clean now, and if I have to take everything done (well the blind and lambrequin anyway) to clean it once a year, then sobeit.

I have another velux but with a much sharper slope , but I'm not putting a lambrequin round that one as it's in a low part of the ceiling, and I don't want to reduce the headroom any more. It's only a spare room and gets used maybe once a year, so isn't too much of an issue.
                        Chris

Comment

Hi, i make blinds for conservatory roofs and use a nylon wire to support the blinds, you could do something similar. Fix the nylon to your batton then use tension buttons to fix at the bottom. There is also a way of cording the blind ina figure of eight so you don't need a pull cord simply move the bottom of the blind up or down and it stays in position. A few years ago I made some Romans to go on a shaped conservatory roof ( in the days when I said yes to anything)
                          Phil Lewis
                          Shades Window Blinds

Comment

I think I've given up (at least for the moment). Trying to get the tension wires tight enough is pulling the rawplugs behind the batton out of the wall!! The rings round the tension wires get caught on the fastenings too. I KNOW Cat made one as it was her photo's that inspired me. But I'm wondering if this treatment is best as a decorative treatment as opposed to a working one?

Am very disheartened at the moment.
                            Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X