Hems and lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hems and lining

How do people finish the lining at the hems of romans?

Assume you are making a hand stitched hem on your roman deep enough to hold a bottom batten - do you cut the lining to the same drop as the fabric and fold it in to the hem? Or trim a little shorter?

I am asking because I have just completed such a blind with blackout lining and the hem was a pain - the lining didn't want to sit properly in the folded hem and seemed to twist around somehow so the hem wouldn't lie flat once the batten was in place. I wondered whether I should have left the lining as long as the fabric, I haven't really noticed this in previous romans I have made. This was a 2m wide blind if you think this may make a difference.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Hems and lining

I tend to do the latter, leaving the lining as long as the face fabric if its a rubberrised black out as it does tend to catch in the fold when slotting the batten in.

I know some members like to mitre the bottom pocket and take the blackout lining and interlining into the fold, place the batten in the fold, then herringbone the blind all the way around, but I prefer the pocket option better. It seems to hold the bottom batten tighter. It's I suppose, personal preference !

Comment

Thanks for that. I have tried the mitred corners method which gives a nice corner to the blind, but I didn't like the look of the batten sitting in the fold at the bottom of the blind, I thought you could 'see' the outline in the face fabric. Then I tried making a hem right at the bottom of the lining for the batten so I could still mitre the fabric, now I am trying making a hem in the fabric over the lining!

I think I need to leave the lining longer as you suggest.....
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hems and lining the Schuhby way

I've taken a few pics of how I do my roman blind hems.. I have a 12cm turing on my main fabric and a 5cm forward turning on my linings, I then fold the fabrics together as you would the hem on an interlined curtain. I slip stitch the hem, picking up the lining only, insert the weight bar and close the sides. Ensure the weight bar sits inside the lining fold.

Single fold on lining, interlining or B/O - Double fold on the main fabric.

Louise if I'm making a roman with B/O lining, I sandwich the 3 pass in between the main fabric and the lining, leaving a 5cm forward turning and folding the 3 together - same as the two shown below, but with the 3rd layer.

Pics!

[attachment=0:2y9xu75c]fold1.jpg[/attachment:2y9xu75c]
        [attachment=3:2y9xu75c]fold2.jpg[/attachment:2y9xu75c]
        [attachment=2:2y9xu75c]halfold.jpg[/attachment:2y9xu75c]
        [attachment=1:2y9xu75c]doublefold.jpg[/attachment:2y9xu75c]
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks all - how much ease do you allow over the size of the weight bar? i.e. if the bar is 3cm deep and a few mm thick, would you turn a 4cm hem? I am wondering if on this occasion there was also slightly too much space for the bar to move in the hem.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

My hems fold to either 5 or 6 cm depending on the finished length of the blind. Cut the weight bar around 2cm shorter then the finished width of the blind.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

What size weight bar do you use?
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

2.5cm aluminum bars. Don't put them in tight, gravity will keep them in place, Louise.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Just wondered if in this case as it was a wide blind, the batten might have turned slightly inside the hem (if it had space to) while it was being transported and loaded/unloaded.
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

It could have.. But the weight of the bar when hanging should cause the hem to hold it in place. I always leave mine lose and have never known of any issues, Louise.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hello Philip

Just reading this old thread because I never seem to get my bottom bar to stand completely vertical in the hem - I am going to try your method this time. I was just wondering, is it feasible to use the blind hemmer to sew the bottom hem up, assuming this is done before inserting the bottom bar?

Regards
                      Gail

Comment

Hi Gail

Maybe a smaller hem will help keep the weight bar in place - With regards using a blind hemmer, I have on occasion used mine and found it successful.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip, the hem on this blind is looking much better.
                          Gail

Comment

Hi Philip

Just to let you know that your method with the hem worked very well on the roman I have just made, the bottom bar sat perfectly for the first time. However, I am now doing a roman in a thick tapestry type fabric, and there is a lot of bulk at the corners of the hem. Do you know of a good way of reducing said bulk?

Thanks
                            Gail

Comment

Hi Gail

Cut it out, you don't need it and once the hem and sides are sewn up you'll never know!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                              X