Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensating foot

Hi Philip,

Not sure this is how you expected Q's re: Velcro to be posted. I did click on the link but it brought me back to the post a new topic page..

A very good step by step presentation. As Louise or Jane said, a picture is worth a thousand words. I always find it really hard to explain things and sometimes think I get lost along the way.

Is the compensating foot like a walking foot? The guide that it has to the right aspect of the foot looks excellent for keeping stitch lines parallel to your work. When I make up using a similar method to this, I fold the fabric under the bottom edge of the Velcro before machining it on, leaving just enough lining to slip stitch/herringbone into place. I then trim fabric and lining back prior to stitching, so all the ends are hidden under the Velcro.

Re: Compensating foot

Jules - that sounds a neat solution for those of us without overlockers and compensating feet.......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Jules the compensating foot is used for keeping the line straight as you said.. You can buy them for left or right sewing. I have a great one for sewing hems on linings too!I've a bit of a thing for feet!

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I didn't have you down as a foot fetishist! Can you set the distance that it will stitch from the edge of the work or do you need at huge foot collection! Are they only available for your Industrial Machines? I wonder if I could get one for big Jo.

Can I add something else about my Velcroing if I do blinds this way? I stitch the top bottom edges prior to flipping over and slipstitching. This way I don't have any stitches showing on the front, apart from stab stiches (which I hope don't show).

Update: Doesn't look like Big Jo has one but wonder if I could use the quilting bar to achieve the same result? Anyone use it for this....Penny?

Comment

I don't have a foot fetish Jules, but your mind needs a hot wash!

Anyway, you can buy these foots for both industrial and domestic machines and they are very useful - You'll be amazed at what you can achieve with the correct foot on your machine.

I'll do you a video of my frilling foot when I get the chance - It's amazing!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Phillip - do you know if they have an alternative name? I have looked on the Pfaff site and can't find one for my machine.........aahh - looked again - perhaps it is this guide foot?

Also found this gathering foot which looks like it might be fun

Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I only know them as compensating feet - sorry!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

If you're in the market for machine feet and are in the mood to spend a few pounds, see if you can get a hold of one of the feet below, perfect, straight stitches on the very edge of the lining hem.

[attachment=0:b0jfxsic]hem.jpg[/attachment:b0jfxsic]

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Louise,

On my trawl around for Big Jo feet, another site did call it a Top Stitch or Compensating foot. Will that help?

I suppose the idea of it being a Top Stitch foot makes sense if you need a row of visible stitches perfectly in alignment?

Comment

That reminds me of farmers smocks in the days of yore! But they would be smocked, wouldn't they?

Comment

Thought I'd share my lovely new compensating foot - It's not that new but it is lovely.. Makes a perfect 1cm seam allowance for rod pockets and fits a fibreglass rod perfectly.

It's the small things that make so much sense!

[youtube:v3liuqlm]N-drgX1OMxc[/youtube:v3liuqlm]

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi

Do you have a Brother Industrial Machine? Can I ask where you purchased the foot from.
                        Thanks for the You Tube, it makes it so much easier to understand what you are talking about.

Sounds like everyone had a great time on Monday, sorry that I missed it, but I had a pattern cutting course so couldn't make it.
                        Anita

Comment

Hi Anita

Yes, Brother Industrial machine,I bought the foot off of eBay - Item number 170388835502. Right hand compensating foot, it's the largest one, number 216.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Fab video Phillip. I would want one that does a 1.5cm pocket do they come in that size please?
                            Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I'd like one that does a 1.5cm pocket for a Pfaff - have searched the interweb without success so far so if anyone finds one, please do let me know.
                              Jane

Comment

Working...
                              X