Sewing rings on a roman blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing rings on a roman blind

As promised here is a video how I sew rings onto my roman blind pockets - As you can see I sew under and around the rod above the stab stitch. Back view of the completed roman blind.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: Sewing rings on a roman blind

Daft question but I missed out on the beginning of this topic but do you sew the rings on after you have put the rods in? I thought because of your answer rather than the picture. Romans are not my strongpoint and I do have quite a few coming up.

Comment

Hello Enid

I was wondering about you earlier and thinking I hadn't seen you for a while... And then you pop up!

The rings are sewn on after the rods are inserted and the stitches are under and around the rod.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thought that was it, makes a bit more sense. thanks P

Comment

Hi Philip,

I still use the internal interlocking stitches to make my romans. It is almost invisible, but is very time consuming. I have perservered with the stab stitch method, and always feel that they are very noticeable. The only time I have used this method successfully is on very narrow blinds. I tried to reduce the number of them across the width, but found that the fabric then sagged. How far apart do you generally make yours? I would normally put one under every ring, plus additional ones between them.

Also do you lay your blinds flat on the table after inserting the rods to put in the stab stitches? I have tried hanging them up in my workroom, but find that very difficult to manage putting in accurate stab stitches.

Do you use extra thick thread or double it up?

Thanks,
          Sue.

Comment

Hi Philip, what lining are you using on your romans? Nice neat stitching.

Comment

Hi Sue

My order of works is to lay the face fabric flat on the table with the sides, hem and top folds creased in. I then lay the lining on top and slip stitch the sides, I then go onto the first rod pocket and stab stitch every 15 - 18cm, once I have stab stitched the first rod pocket I slip stitch the hem. The reason I do the hem at this point is because I slip my 150cm ruler in the hem, in at the side and out the other side - I then use this to pull the blind down the table towards me as I stab stitch the remaining rod pockets. Using the ruler means I can pull all fabrics down the table in one piece without them moving.

I then move onto the top and add the velcro - Weight bar and then rods and rings.

Sophie I buy my linings from Evans Textiles - They do a lining specially for roman blinds and it is fantastic!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you philip I will contact them in the morning and get a sample.

Comment

Evapure standard, 72 x 116 sateen for roman blinds - Once you've used it you'll never turn back!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip,

So you put your stab stitches in first, then the hem. Inserting the rods comes later with the rings sewn on after that?

Is that Evapure non-CR? I use the CR version for pretty much everything, unless I'm asked for polycotton, but obviously as its name suggests, it does not hold its creases and tends to be quite fluid.

Sue

Comment

I stab stitch the first rod pocket first, then sew the hem.. No, it's not crease resistant and holds a finger crease nicely removing the need to iron the creases in.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

This is such a beautifully made roman blind can any one give me step by step instructions on how to make a blind like this i would love to make them for my home

Comment

Followed a bit of Phillip's instructions, a bit of past knowledge , a bit of a colleagues ,and even managed to sew some glass bead trim on the top, folded over, and the bottom. Pathetic, but I am quite pleased with myself today. Now I need to finish it, hang it and maybe persuade DH to take a photo to show.
                          Sad is it not?? Simple pleasures.

Enid

Comment

I like Enid was unsure about making romans. I had made them before but on looking 'thru the forum found many photos that looked so much better than mine!

So I set about looking 'thru the roman blind section ( many times ) followed Philip's excellent instructions and made up a sample following said instructions. Have done around six since then, I'm fairly confident to take them on, the only thing that I've not got a hold of,is folding the lining for rod pockets, I chickened out on that one as my spacings just weren't right, so cut out individual pockets for the lining. I find making romans the way Philip suggests so much easier than before and they certainly look so much better without any visible machine stiching on the face fabric.

Cat C.
                            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Yes, Philip's instrustions cured me of Roman phobia, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X