Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joins on the lining of a Roman Blind

Hi Guys

Can someone give me some advise please. I have to make several large - 246cm Roman blinds. Normally I railroad the lining but on this occasion I cant as the drops are too big. When I have needed to join lining for a big RB I have done it with a central panel and left and right side panels.... but what I was wondering was are there any pit falls in joining the lining straight down the middle, or would I be committing sin!

Daisy

Re: Joins on the lining of a Roman Blind

Hi Daisy

I have in the past used a join in the middle of my lining fabric but only if the face fabric is thick enough not to show the join when the blind is down. If using a thin fabric with joins I would put the joins at either side, the same as the face fabric - If using a thick fabric you can easily get away with a middle join and place a middle cord to hide it. Always remember, do not iron your seams open, but iron them to one side otherwise you won't get your rods in.

I have in the past joined my linings horizontally and hidden the join in a rod pocket - My honest opinion on this type of thing is that you should do whatever is easiest for you and gives you a professional, high end finish.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip I never even thought about it showing through! Very glad I asked now...... thanks for taking the time to answer
      Daisy

Comment

Hi Daisy,

Just to reiterate Philips point about pressing the hems sideways (the same way, and away from the end you will poke the rods in from). I have all but had to take a roman apart when the rods caught in the hem allowance. Very frustrating as I was nearly done at that point. Since using Philips method I have had no bother at all.

Missing your face from AW!

Sue.

Comment

Yes Daisy... Put your avatar on - That robot face always made me smile..
          MyDecozo Admin

Comment

Hi I've done it.... well actually Andy has done it for me just like he put the pyramid stitch pic up! I'm totally useless with things like that

Also I didn't want to comment on the pressing hems one way as like a total ninny pants I always struggle and swear when trying to insert the rods.... I was planning on taking the advise discreetly and glossing over the facts!

Its lovely to be missed at AW Sue. The thing is I just don't have any time for me any more since my mums stroke last summer. I do try and visit this site and help with posts as often as I can but I'm so pooped out I'm usually in bed by 9! I think I'm definitely losing it though... I had parked in a car park where it said 'no return within 1hr' 20mins later when I had finished at the shop I wondered what to do as I couldn't go back to the car. The woman in the shop actually asked me if I was blond underneath!!! no offense to my blond friends here. Now that was seriously embarrassing

Daisy xx

Comment

Daisy you make me smile and I don't know what it is, but that avatar so suites your posts!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

would overlocking work give it a smaller hem size to push the rods through thats if you have a overlocker

never try it myself esther

Comment

Joining roman blind seams

Just about to make 2 roman blinds 145cm wide each. I'll put a main panel in the middle & two narrow panels down each side - I'm wondering about using my (new - can you tell I'm desperate to use it) overlocker to do the joins? I'm hesitating as I'm a bit concerned that the narrow turnings produced by the overlocker won't lie as flat as they would if they were untrimmed & wider......what do you think?
                  Jane

Comment

Re: Joining roman blind seams

Another question......is it OK to just have one join down the middle of the lining (it's blackout) or should I have two which line up with the joins in the fabric panels?
                    Jane

Comment

Re: Joining roman blind seams

Hi Jane

I have on occasion used my overlocker to join widths successfully - If the drop allows Jane, consider railroading the lining fabric.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                      X