Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romans using B/o & interlining

Hi All,

I have a customer who wants some romans making up with blackout lining but also likes the feel of interlined curtains & blinds. Has anyone used the bonded blackout/interlined lining on M&D and how would you use this with romans ?

Any suggestions please.

Michelle

Re: Romans using B/o & interlining

Hi Michelle,

I haven't used the bonded blackout lining but I do use the ordinary bonded lining for roman blinds and am very pleased with the results. I use it as purely an interlining and then make my rod pockets in the usual way from my ordinary lining and hand stitch together. If it's anything like the bonded interlining but with b/o I can't see a problem. Maybe someone else will know more....

Comment

Hi Jules,

The sample I have feels very similar, so if you have found it works I may give this a go, I want to minimise the number of layers.

Out of interest why do you use the bonded lining and not just the ordinary interlining with lining.

Michelle

Comment

Hi Michelle,

A client specifically asked me to use the bonded interlining to make her curtains so, knowing as little as I did, off I went and ordered a roll.....I hated it and wish I'd dissuaded her from having it. To paraphrase Philip it has the draping qualities of a plank of wood. I had to find some use for it other than to pad my table, so I gave it a try and it has worked really well. It keeps its shape but still gives an interlined feel and is light too.

Please let me know how you get on with it as I'd be interested to know if it's a viable alternative to blackout lining.

Comment

Hi Michelle,

Just had a look on the M&D site. It does look very much like bonded interlining. Although at first glance it's expensive, by the time you have bought interlining and B/O it's not so bad. Plus, if it's softer than conventional B/O it's got to be worth a try?

What does anyone else think?

Comment

Roman blinds are not my forte, but I have just done some using ordinary b/out instead of interlining and lined out with normal lining....customer wanted b/out but the 'plushness' of interlining, and I wanted to cut down on the layers. So far we are both pleased with the end result and will do the rest of the order in this manner.

Enid

Comment

I've used the bonded stuff multiple times now for machine made roman blinds. Works brilliantly as long as you don't attempt to fold it into rod pockets (use tape) or open out the side seams - I press the face fabric out but leave the interlining/lining flat and make sure it's trimmed right to the edge of the blind.

I don't often get asked to make hand stitched blinds (pity as I love doing it so much) so offering a machine made solution within their budget means I at least get the job (and the money as well!!!) and the bonded product works brilliantly for these.

For curtains, I've used it for one client at her insistance (she wanted interlined curtains but wouldn't pay for handmade so this was the only compromise she'd accept) and whilst she loved them I absolutely hated them and am ashamed to call them mine. It made £58/m LA silk look like cardboard. No drape, no softness, just looked heavy and stiff. But for blinds - perfect.

My next roman blind job will be using the blackout bonded product so I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Comment

Hi Bluebell,

I've just had the order confirmed today the customer wants 18 Romans with Blackout & interlining, so I am going to use this by the time I buy them seperately there does not seem to be much difference and it will save the multiple layers.

I am thinking of completing as per Jules suggestion and using between fabric & standard lining.

I will be ordering it all tomorrow from M&D I will let you know how I get on with the first one later this week.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a machine made roman, is it with tape ? I don't offer my customers a choice I only do romans one way. I have never really been asked by a customer for anything specifically handmade or machine made, not sure most no the difference.

Michelle

Comment

Hi Michelle,

So glad you got the order!

I think of a machine made blind as one made using the bagged-out method and hand made, where you lay out the fabric, face down, interline and attach a lining into which you have already sewn the rod pockets by hand, then stab stitch the layers together.

Please do let me know how you get on with the M & D interlined blackout Michelle!

Good luck and happy blind making!!!

p.s. Bluebell, don't beat yourself up about the LA silk curtains! I know exactly where you're coming from re: using bonded interlining in curtains but....THAT'S ALL L.A. OFFER! We had a quote (because we could!) for interlined curtains from LA - actually, they insisted as didn't think a little curtain maker could do as well as they could.... Anyway, the long and the short of my tale is that all they offer is bonded lining for interlining any curtains. I was amazed and the price was horrific. So, your client only wanted 'the best' a la LA!

Comment

Working...
                  X