Mock Roman Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mock Roman Blind

My client is requesting a mock roman as opposed to full working one....what percentage of the drop can I lose?
    I made a beatiful one years ago & I'm sure I didn't us full drop of fabric but can't remember how I did it ...help
    Regards
    Mairi

Re: Mock Roman Blind

Hi Mairi,

I made a 'dress roman/faux roman/mock roman blind' today. It took as long as a fully functioning blind, so maybe I was off the mark when making it...

However, I wanted it to be made 'by design' to show the fabric off to its best so wasn't really hinking how much fabric I could loose but just how the blind would look when made. I think you need to put the fabric on your table and work with it until your happy with how it looks when pleated and then use that amount of fabric in your finished blind.

Comment

HI mairi

I always make them as if they were fully working - I wonder if the customer may wish at some stage it could be used, I dont put all the cords in, but if at any stage they move house and want to use it they could put the cords in and change it to fully working.

Trouble is I am such a in-decisive person that if it was for me, I would stress over whether I just may like to use it!!!

Kathy
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Mairi
        I'm with Kathy on this one to achieve the effect of all the folds when pulled up you need to use the same amount of cloth.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I can't see the point in making something that resembles a blind but isn't one. Any lack of fullnes will result in the treatment not looking like a blind but looking like a flimsy pelmet. If a pelmet is what is required then a soft pelmet would fit the bill perfectly but if something that looks like a proper blind is required then make one but just dont cord it as Kathly rightly points out. I have tried to make these look good and save fabric. It doesn't work for me. It would be interesting to see how Jules has interpreted the brief???????........

Comment

There are sometimes occasions for such things. I have just made one for a family bathroom. The client aleady has a waterproof roller blind but hates the utilitarian look of it. She wanted something to link the window dressing to the dressings in the master bedrooom (oddly, the smaller guest room has the ensuite!) As this bathroom has an over the bath shower, which is only used when she has guests to stay, she needs to be able to 'whip it down' to save it from getting wet. This faux blind will be easy to take down and put up again when needed.

I don't think it looks limp.... excuse the pic, taken on my mobile as don't have digi camera....yet!

Comment

Hi All,

I have made faux roman blinds in the past, but in order for them to look like they are real need added length, personally think they need to be about 70-100cm long. Not far short of a normal working blind. The difference in time and materials is minimal, so I charge the same as a standard size blind. All the client is saving in cost is a bit of extra fabric. Therefore I usually advise against them, because most of the time my clients are requesting these to save money. Even the cost of fabric cannot be saved if there is a minimal order, so once explained customer opts for a working one. Pelmets are a good alternative.
              Sue.

Comment

I think it looks really good Jules. You wouldn't know the difference if it weren't for the lack of cord. How much face fabric did you save in relation to the real drop???......

Comment

I could dangle a cord or two for authenticity! This is made to 23" drop whereas the real blind would have been 45" drop. This wasn't about saving fabric though folks, just a more convenient 'thing' to handle.

Comment

Jules just seen your blind and I think it's beautiful. You would never know that it is a mock one. Well done!
                    Bev

The Window Dresser

Comment

Thank you Bev, I am rather pleased with it.

Comment

Can I ask how it's strung up ? I have done one today and tied strings off
                        She's rung later and says it looks shocking not level etc
                        It's a mock one 3 folds on a batten with eyelets and I tied strings to one side
                        Thanks
                        LSs

Comment

You should just tie each set of rings together, rather than tie to one side. Perhaps one way of getting it nice and level is to tie a cord to each top ring, thread the cord through the lower rings and put a toggle on the bottom. Then each cord can be adjusted separately.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you Pen for the advice
                            I will try that
                            LSs

Comment

Collected blind I couldn't get it right In situ so gonna sew in folds
                              Lss

Comment

Working...
                              X