roman in a square bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roman in a square bay

window treatment just roman blinds. would it be more advisable to have the front blind full width and the side blind overlapping the front blind. any advise would be appreciated. ( intuition draws me to shortening both blind ends any view would be appreciated- using a 4cm track it is a square bay.

Re: roman in a square bay

Hi Dee,

Is it a square bay or splayed sides. Square bays can give a bit of a problem because you can see behind the blinds if they are too far away from the window, unless you are having dress curtains to hide.

Otherwise I usually take 2 pieces of batten that I would intend to use and mark it with pencil on the actual window to see how the blinds butt up to each other. My blinds in bays usually butt up to each other rather than overlap each other. So they are all narrower than you would expect because of the allowances for the measurements of the width of the batten plus en extra 1cm gap to avoid the pleats hitting each other. I usually discuss the pros and cons of having them too close v. too far apart and be guided by what the client prefers.

Sue.

Comment

it is a square bay. im fine with a splayed bay, but a square bay not sure of the best option, so undecided.

Comment

In that case I would normally try to made the side blinds as near to the window as possible, and make the centre one slighly wider. Is it ceiling mount? If so, I would use a narrower batten i.e. 1" x 1".

Sue.

Comment

it is ceiling mounted

Comment

thank you sue

Comment

Originally posted by suel
              In that case I would normally try to made the side blinds as near to the window as possible, and make the centre one slighly wider. Is it ceiling mount? If so, I would use a narrower batten i.e. 1" x 1".

Sue.
              Hi,

Strange how the same old problems keep cropping up! I'm going to measure for a square bay window. I want to use 1" x 1" battens to reduce the gap between the window and blind on the side windows. I have already done my research on previous posts and have came across the above quote. My blinds are to be face mounted, the above quote suggests I shouldn't use 1" x 1" when face mounting. Do any of you ladies have an opinion on this?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
              Julie

Comment

Julie, surely it does suggest using 1" x 1"?

I would use a narrower batten i.e. 1" x 1".

Sue.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen,

Ummm I didn't read it that way - any how from your response I take it it's perfectly ok to face mount with 1" x 1" batten.
                  Thank you for your response.

Julie

Comment

For small romans on battens, I nearly always use a 1" x 1", unless circumstances dictate otherwise.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hello again,

I guess I was enquiring because from experience blinds I've fixed to 1" x 1" battens, where the battens are face fixed to the window frame, have little room to hang below when in folded position and the lower edge of the blind gets pushed out especially if the blinds are long and interlined. The blinds I'll be working on will be interlined and about 160cm long, so potentially a lot of fabric to hang below a 1" x 1" batten. As with most jobs though at some point you have to decide where to make the compromise. I don't want a 2" gap between the blind and window so will go with the 1" x 1" battens. I plan to take battens with me to the measuring so I'll be able to demonstrate how the blinds will sit. It's a lovely job to have and I'm looking forward to doing it. I'm working on this ladies kitchen at the moment and she's picked the most gorgeous Bennisons fabrics!

Thank you for your guidance, now and again it's just nice to have some one reaffirm what you are doing will work and is professionally acceptable.

Julie

Comment

Are these their own fabrics and wallpapers?

They are absolutely sublime.....

I totally agree about the distance from the window to the front of a 1" batten not being sufficient to allow an interlined roman to 'hang' well. The wall does tend to push to folds forward...

Comment

Question asked and answered..... yep, own fabrics..... and fabrics to die for!

Comment

Hi Jules,

I'd never heard of Bennisons fabrics before my customer showed them to me, I guess you've looked at their website? They have a shop just off Kings Road. The two fabrics I'm working with are gorgeous - to add more interest to the job my customer has chosen contrast fabrics for the lining. I feel very lucky to have fallen upon this job, it's not quite run of the mill.

This is the lady with the arched windows, she's decided to go with square Romans which isn't as odd as it sounds - the arches are set within a square frame work.

Julie

Comment

I've done a couple of windows in a Victorian Railway Station Master's house that sound similar to yours. Square Frames with inset arched windows. They were beautifully crafted. Very far removed from my UPVC ones,

Comment

Working...
                              X