Stab Stitching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stab Stitching.

Hi, I feel I should know the answer to this question by now but it just occured to me when doing stab stitching on Romans. Am I right in bringing just one stitch 'thru to the front??
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Stab Stitching.

From back "Thru to the front and back again" catching a small amount of the face fabric! I once did them sooo smalll, I'd gone back through the same hole and hey presto, no stab stitch. One stitch is fine as long as your thread is strong enough.

Comment

Jules,
      What thread would you recommend - I need to get a supply of good threads.
      Ursula

Comment

Hi Ursula,

If I have a 36's thread that will match, I use that. Otherwise I have a good selection of Gutterman Top Stitch threads, which are available from most sewing stores. You need so little, they seem to last a good long time.

What does anyone else use?

Comment

Ursula - if you are looking for a thread supplier check Empress Mills - you can buy a colour shade card with actual thread wrapped on it, and they halve a wide range of thread types and grades in all the colours. Habadashery too.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I would recommend Coats Nylbond thread. I used it to interlock interlining on a pair of dark coloured curtains recently and it was a joy to work with......really smooth and never went into knots. I don't think they have a huge selection of colours though!

Co
            Kind regards
            Colina

Comment

Thanks girls for the helpful replies and the thread info. I think I only have one large cone of 36 thread in natural ( is the 36 a strong thread meant for hand sewing, with a sort of ' waxy ' feel to stop it tangling ?) It wouldn't work this time as wrong shade. I shall invest in some other colours. Louise - the sample shade card from Empress Mills sounds good, always hard to select shades online
              Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Yes, thats 36 - I use it to sew the rings on romans....
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the info.
                  Ursula

Comment

What do you use for stab stitching please Louise?

Comment

I use regular thread in the nearest colour match I can find (usually from my box of threads). I try and match colours to the point in the pattern where the stitch falls so this may vary across the width of the blind, making 3-4 'stitches' before tying off. I buy the cotton wrapped thread from Empress called 120s Polycore.
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X