Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Blind With Puff Ball Heading

Happy New Year Everbody.

Just finished making two roman blinds for our nearly finished bedroom (been camping out for over a year in a very, very old property) and tonight I started looking through the M&D book on inspiration and design.

Came across some nice pictures of the above subject, and thought they would look nice!

How could I go about constructing the 'puff ball' heading and attaching it to the top without having to take the blind apart - is there a way around this.

I have never done 'puff ball' before, but ready and waiting with my netting

Any advice as per usual will be appreciated.

Regards
    Julie
    Kind Regards
    Julie Monty

Re: Roman Blind With Puff Ball Heading

Hi Julie,
    you need a tube of fabric and two or maybe three layers of net. About 15cm finished width? and two or three times the length, depending on the fabric. Fold the fabric wrong sides together, enclosing the lengths of net and stitch parallel to the raw edge leaving a small allowance. Neaten the raw edges then gather along the allowance. Once made up, you could stitch the heading directly to the top of the blind - the puff with hide the seam allowance.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Julie,
      The other way I've done this is to make a tube as Pen suggests, but before stitching it right sides together sew a length of 1" or 2" pencil pleat tape on the back - you can then draw it up easily before arranging the 'puffiness' and stab stitching down to the face of the blind. I've made blinds with this heading several times and they look really good, not half as fussy as they sound. (I also did a fabric wall in the dressing room of a bridal shop with butter muslin gathered onto covered laths on floor and ceiling and a puffball heading using the type of tape which sticks to velcro; when I 'stabbed' the gathers down I trimmed with some tiny pearl beads, which I was really chuffed with! It was a cheap way to provide privacy and hide some unattractive windows, as well as diffusing the light nicely for the blushing brides.)
      Good luck with the blinds!
      Jackie

Comment

Excellent idea, Jackie, didn't think of using tape for the gathers.
        Regards
        Pen
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison

Comment

If your shade (blind) is mounted to a board I would do exactly as Jackie suggested but staple it right to the front of the board.
          Arrange and scrunch your puffs and poufs, stab stitch (or use a tacking gun) and the staples will forever be hidden.

Warmest Regards,
          Susan
          Susan Woodcock
          Owner, HomeDecGal.com
          Charlotte, NC
          USA

Comment

Hi I know this is an old post but I have a customer with very wonky dormer windows I have suggested a puff heading on the Roman blind to hide the wonky ceiling, but she has asked for a photo as she cant visualise what it will look like. My question is does anyone have a photo they wouldn't mind sharing with me, so that I can show her. I have also thought about doing the puffed heading on a valance with a trim to match the blind, this will a separate piece and will sit in front of the blind. Does anyone forsee any problems with this idea. They are large dormer windows, set at 2.6m's from the floor. TIA
            Sue

Comment

If you go to google images and type puffball heading, it will bring up lots of images, mostly curtains but the idea is the same.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison

Comment

Thanks Pen, I have shown images of curtains, and a sample curtain but she still cant visualise what it will look like. I have seen a photo somewhere but cant find it again, always the way.
                Sue

Comment

I think there may be a photo in M&D's Curtain Inspiration? Haven't got access to my copy right now, but could be about a room with different sized windows.
                  CatherineL
                  Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

Thanks Catherine, but unfortunately I don't have that book. Will keep looking.
                    Sue

Comment

Have you tried searching on Pinterest - there are lots of UK and USA soft furnishings makers with accounts who post good photos
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X