Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 million shades recalled for strangulation risk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 million shades recalled for strangulation risk!

Anyone else seen this on the net, could affect you all
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34421715...ing/?GT1=43001

The world is going mad!!

Re: 50 million shades recalled for strangulation risk!

Hi,
    perhaps parents need to be a bit more responsible too.!!!
    Helen

Comment

Dear SusanF
      Thank you for bringing this article to our attention. This is a topic which has been discussed many times on this forum and we are all very well aware of the risk of strangulation to small children. It is something we all take very seriously and many of us do fit cord control mechanisms.
      This article applies to the US SusanF. Is this where you are based?
      This link will have upset many of our members.
      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

This is in the US.....

Using their own figures, then if there were only 5 fatal accidents since 2006 with 50 million blinds out there then I think we need to keep a sense of proportion. I'm sure there are also many accidents with ponds, pools, baths of hot water, kettles, dogs and the many other 'hazards' in daily life.

Of course we should bring safety to the attention of our customers and offer safety clips, but I think banning corded blinds is impossible. For a UK perspective, check the British Blind and Shutter Association.

BBSA Make it Safe campaign

Other BBSA safety advice can be found here safety issues
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have been in touch with the British Blind and Shutter Association and they have confirmed they are aware of this product recall in the US.

They also said they are continuing to promote their 'Make it Safe' campaign, and working to ensure that all types of blind are included in the European standards for blinds.

This is a previous discussion members had on blinds and safety labelling safety labels

As a reminder, there are various safety clips available to supply with chain mechanism blinds - M&D, Pretty Frills, Decorquip and Jones all supply them. Blind companies, high street shops like Mothercare and various Ebay stores also sell them.

For your own peace of mind, you may also want to create a small document detailing the potential safety issues of blind cords and chains which you leave with customers, and perhaps ask them to sign. I believe some members already do this.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I also posted this on the Sewing Forum as there are a number of soft furnishers on there too. One of the members pointed out that indeed a child in the UK died earlier this year by becoming entangled in some cords. Very sad.

By the way Penny I did not intend to upset any of the members on this forum and I am very sorry if that has been the case. Plus I am based in West Yorkshire, I used to live in the USA and still like to keep up with news etc from there.

Louise as usual you give a very thoughtful reply, I must have missed the fact that the safety angle has been discussed on here before and I am pleased to hear how responsible people are being already with this situation.

My reason for posting the link to the article was that it seemed such an extreme thing to do to recall all of those blinds, surely an impossible task. Also it did not seem to take into consideration a lot of those blinds were perhaps in homes with no small children, were theirs to be recalled too?

Comment

This is a subject I constantly worry over.

I have a client who did loose their nephew to strangulation by means of a blind cord. Its deeply upsetting to even comprehend this happens , but sadly its a fact that its a potential hazard.

I do recall mentioning before that I now include that we are not liable for injury or death caused by any components supplied by my company and have the client sign that they agree to the terms and conditions applied when returning a deposit or a confirmation of a booking.

Louise is right to say cover yourselves from the start by means of putting something in writing that covers these issues ( and many others hence why I currently have 24 T&C's!) and verbally discuss the issues with the client before hand pointing out the safety issues.

The thought of one of my blinds or fittings causing a death or injury scares me witless So thank you Louise for going out of your way to find out the information from the Blind and Shutter Association, much appreciated.

Comment

I think this will serve as a useful reminder to all of us to be vigilant in remembering to raise this issue with customers when supplying blinds, and perhaps make sure we keep stocks of clips.

I can't begin to wonder how the logistics of re-calling all those blinds will work......what a nightmare!

I would recommend that everyone takes a quick look at the BBSA site as there is some good common sense advice there, certainly information to help anyone wanting to provide customers with a written document with safety suggestions.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention SusanF so we can be prepared for any customer queries in the New Year.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you Louise from me too.
                  As always your research is perfect and much appreciated.
                  Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

The BBSA have a ready made customer leaflet you can download in PDF format

Make It Safe leaflet
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you Louise for the link to this leaflet, it will be very useful to have for future customers.

Susan

Comment

I agree with Louise, we have to keep a sense of proportion about this. I can't believe the cost and the waste that will happen if this recall in the States goes ahead!

Carry on as normal, make sure you point out the small potential risk to your clients - maybe leave them with a copy of the BSSA leaflet and a cordsafe device.
                        Kind regards
                        Pen Harrison
                        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I have come across something called a breakaway tassel which I think is intended for venetian blinds. I wonder if it would be suitable for a roman which used a batten and cords? Combined with a suitably positioned cleat it might offer a 'belt and braces' approach for anyone particularly concerned about this issue.

Example

Has anyone any experience of these?
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

The initial article of this post mentions a free repair kit being available - I wonder what this is?
                            The breakaway tassle looks interesting. It does look as though it may fall apart under normal usage though and could involve re-threading the blind. I wonder how much strain the cord end toggles would take before they let the cord slide through ( I will try it tomorrow) maybe if they were just used without tying a knot in as well, that would help.

Julie
                            Julie

Comment

I have emailed the supplier to see if they have any information about how the tassel holds together and how many cords it might hold. I will let you know if they reply. Obviously it would have to hold tight enough to stay in place while the blind was in normal use, if it fell off it would then become a potential choking hazard. You wouldn't be able to knot the cords otherwise they would become the loop that a child could catch themselves in.
                              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                              X