Hi Everyone

I want to make a cascading Roman blind and would like to interline it
    Could you tell me the best one and weight to use
    Thank you

Regards
    Marela

Re: Interlining For Roman Blinds

Hi Marela,

I'm hooked on the bonded interlining as it gives such a square 'base' to create the blind around. I know Tam produces beautiful romans with 410g bump and they are really sumptuous and full. I think it depends on how 'thick' you want your blind to be when done and also the weight of the face fabric you're working with. I've used quite a lot of upholstery weight fabrics and would just be a little concerned about using too thick/heavy an interlining with those.

Comment

Hi Jules
      Thank you so much for the info

marela

Comment

Jules

I have used the bonded i/lining for blinds and got a nice result. Can I ask how you make up - do you sew blind tape directly onto i/lining for rod pockets then stab stitch through to face fabric?
        From Jo

Comment

Hi Ladies,

That's just how my local shop does it! Tape onto the cotton side of the bonded IL. I, however, use it as a core in the same way you'd use sarill, bump or domette and make a separate cotton lining with rod pockets stitched in as per Philip's video.

So, face fabric, sides, top, hem pressed in place.

Bonded IL cut SLIGHTLY narrower than the finished blind width - mm's narrower for light weight fabrics, narrower than than for furnishing weight fabrics as they make bulk on the side turns. Slip the IL inside the fabric turns and make sure it's nice and flat.

Herringbone the sides in onto the IL. Cut IL level with the head of the blind. Leave 5cm longer at the bottom to iron up into the hem.

Prepare the lining and slip stitch in place as you would lining on a curtain.

Comment

I'm using Evans' thermal lining as an interlining for all my blinds now as I like the finish it gives - no seams showing through when there's light behind them, and of course it's a good selling point in terms of the heat retention it gives. Must try the bonded interlining when I've got a minute ...

Jackie

Comment

Hi Jules

Where do you buy your bonded interlining from

i have just bought some domette interlining from merrick and day

regards
              Marela

Comment

Hi Jackie,

You can get bonded blackout and it gives a lovely thick feel to blinds..... Haven't used thermal but I really do think that Interlinings etc should be sold as green! Anyone fancy tapping Gordon Brown up for a scrappage scheme? Old, thin, drafty/draughty, nasty curtains for lovely thick, interlined, thermal lined ones and matching romans - where there are rads under windows, of course - to save heat and reduce the carbon footprint of the British home?

Hi Marela,

Evans do a lovely bonded Interlining (the one that LA use in their 'Interlined curtains'......) and they also do a cheaper one that needs the sarill trimming down before use but it is cheaper. You can buy both online retail price from Terry's Fabrics, a lovely shop to deal with.

Comment

Thanks for info Jules. Hadn't thought of using it like that. Will give it a go.
                  From Jo

Comment

Again, advice needed from you experts out there. We were taught at Merrick and Day to lockstitch interlined Roman blinds at the rod positions. After watching Philips videos on the making of them, I noticed he didn't lockstitch the lining to the face fabric, which I am still doing even when not using interlining. Am I doing this wrong? is it not necessary for just lined Romans, and what about when interlined do you guys lockstitch? Or should I just go for more stab stitching along the rod line?

cathie

Comment

I don't ever lockstitch across the rod pockets although various books I have suggest this......I usually stab stitch every 19-20cm across unless the face fabric is very soft/droopy, then I will do more.
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Gosh! I have been wasting my time!!! Thanks so much. One more query, I noticed also that Philip, in his video, stab stitched the blind whilst still flat on table, he said he never moved the blind until that was done. How on earth did he do that? Perhaps I should be directing this to Philip, tho' you might know.

Comment

Jules - can I just ask.....(and I hope its not a daft question)....why do you use bonded IL and lining? Why not just interlining and lining? Is it more stable giving a better finish?

Comment

Hi Sas,

I had a full roll (woman wanted it for curtains, bought it and then she took my suggestion to have them interlined like I'd suggested in the first place) and needed to find a use for it. Seemed sensible to try it as an interliner for my romans and not just use it to cover my work table! I haven't looked back since. You can cut it exactly to size and it stays where you put it. I know it's probably a waste to then use a separate lining for rod pockets but I do like the way it works. Why not give it a go? You might like it too!

Comment

I might just try that next time Jules - anything to make life easier

Comment

Working...
                              X