Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3m long blinds

Hi everyone

Just to let you know I fitted the curtains yesterday for the job I did last week. The customer was really happy with them and asked me to do some more work for her. I am so giddy! Will post a photo when I work out how

I have a couple of questions with my next job and would appreciate any advice. I am making four 3m long x 1m roman blinds for a converted chapel. I recommended using a blind kit to hang them but the customer was not happy with price. I am going to use wooden battens instead but am not sure if they will be strong enough. The property is a holiday let so she can't guarantee that they won't be pulled on heavily if you know what I mean.

Then I got thinking about the cords... they will be so long that they might not wrap neatly around a (extra large?) cleat. Do I try a cord lock?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jo
    From Jo

Re: 3m long blinds

Instead of a cleat use two brass tie back hooks, one above the other, about 6" apart and wind the cord around them in a figure if eight. The batten wil be fine providing it has a very secure fixing.
    Janie

Comment

Hi Jo,
      Gosh, that's a long one (if you see what I mean! )! How many rows of rings/cords are you planning to use? I would have thought that the blinds would be expensive because of the amount of work involved, not the cost of the bits and pieces. I don't think I've ever made blinds that long!
      Jackie

Comment

Great idea for cords Janie, I will do that. I use a local handyman to fit my battens so will stress importance of a secure fit.

To say I am a little anxious is an understatement Jackie. Just working spacing out at the moment. I was thinking about doing large folds to create as neat a stack as possible. I have my NDA course book, M&D Encyc and laptop around me at the moment

Pricing is a whole other can of worms for me. As a new business and newish to soft furnishings I probably sell myself short. I just want to work and build up my experience but am probably working for about 2p an hour (well not quite but you know what I mean).

Thanks for advice.
        From Jo

Comment

The property is a holiday let so she can't guarantee that they won't be pulled on heavily if you know what I mean.

Then I got thinking about the cords... they will be so long that they might not wrap neatly around a (extra large?) cleat. Do I try a cord lock?
          Without trying to panic you or your customer, I'd be more concerned with the cords and other peoples children playing with them and the potential danger of strangulation. I would mention this to your client and suggest she pays a few extra £'s and uses a tracking system with a side winding mechanism with wall safety cleats.

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hadn't thought of that. Good point Philip. Safety has to come before cost surely? Will ring customer.

Thanks alot

Jo
            From Jo

Comment

Also at 1m wide you are not going to need very wide tracks anyway - the cost of the rods etc. will be the same and you will not be buying a cleat and cord weight......

You can order tracks with longer operating chains for high windows........
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Jo,

I do think in a holiday let that a track is the way to go, however, you can buy special fixings to set apart for wrapping long cords around them. I'll try to remember the company - somewhere in B'ham...... - and post when I do.

Comment

I completely agree with Phillip my main concern would be the risk of a child strangling themselves. I always fit tracks I no longer offer battens as an option.
                  With one that long you may need a heavier geared ratio chain housing. They usually come in a 1:1 or 5:1 for anything over 3/4 kgs in weight.
                  Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I'm with Philip and the others on this one too. I personally don't give the option of battens/cords now. After a long informative conversation with a spokesman for the British Blind Makers Assoc. I would always err on the side of caution. Even if you supply a note of warning, a child under four can't read it.!
                    The advice I was given was that if a client ignores the safety advice you give then it's best to get it in writing that you offered an alternative.

Cat

P.S. I get my safety cord fixing devices from Pretty Frills they are suitable for top,side or face fixing.

http://www.prettyfrills.co.uk/Child-Saf ... ducts.html
                    Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I have so much to learn (but am loving every minute).

I have emailed my customer and am waiting for a reply.

Could I ask where you buy your track systems from?

Jo
                      From Jo

Comment

I have heard back from my customer. The property will only be let to adults and children over 12 so she does not consider the cords a safety problem. She did appreciate me mentioning it (thanks for the brownie points!).

Jo
                        From Jo

Comment

Just a thought, when I used to fit blinds on a batten I would the lower blind to its lowest point, then tie a knot at the point nearest the batten and plait the rest of the cord before fitting the acorn (I normally had to drill out the acorn to take the plait) I did it because I thought it looked better, plus I come from 4 generations of hairdressers so maybe it is in the genes
                          Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

What a lovely idea. Thanks Dave.

Loving your work!

Jo
                            From Jo

Comment

Hi there

You can also get cord connectors for roman blinds....Pretty Frills I think. They allow you to thread all your cords through one half, knot and cut. Then you put you hand cord/ribbon etc through the other half and screw them together. Then just add your acorn at the bottom....really neat. Used them alot when I made batten romans.
                              Natalie

Comment

Working...
                              X