Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head of blind 'pulling in' when velcro machined on....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head of blind 'pulling in' when velcro machined on....

Does anyone else have a problem with Velcro pulling the head of the blind in when it's machined on? I am as careful as careful can be but, on wider blinds, have noticed that the Velcro (even though I tack it into place with my double sided tape) still slightly reduced the width of the blind. I'm seriously thinking of machining Velcro to a band of lining before hand stitching it to the blind. I know this will be time consuming but it's driven me nuts of this 216 cm roman I've just done.

PLEASE share your solutions with me!

Re: Head of blind 'pulling in' when velcro machined on....

Hi Jules
    Best thing is not to remeasure the top!!
    I take it you mean sticky back plastic double sided tape that you put on the back of the velcro, so then it surely must be the tension that is pulling it in? I'd be interested to know what others think too
    Love
    Janie

Comment

Hi Janie,

LOL!

I know I'm being picky but it drives me NUTS. Whilst it's not noticeable on narrow blinds it gets more apparent the wider they get. Yes, I use very narrow double sided sticky tape. This means I can keep my needle well away from the sticky bit.

Do you think then if I adjust the tensions on my machine it might help?

Comment

Loosen the tension, it might just help. This problem drive me nuts too.

I guess your second option is the only other way.

Ooooo how annoying

Comment

Hi Tam,

I will loosen tension like you and Janie suggest. Wish me luck!

If anyone else has solutions, please keep 'em coming.....

Comment

Try cutting the Velcro into smaller pieces, and when putting them on leave a tiny gap between each piece? I'm not sure if that will help. But it is a known problem - maybe try using a walking foot?
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Another good idea! Will give that one a go too. Anything that's easier than sewing on by hand........

Comment

Ensure you lay the doucble sided tape on loosely, lay it onto the fabric first and do not pull it taught. You should then lay the velcro on top of the tape, lay it on, don't stretch it over..

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi jules try pulling the fabric a bit tighter when sewing velcro on put your hand behind the needle and pull the fabric withleft hand and right hand in opposite directions to give more =tension if this makes any sense

Comment

Thanks again Schuhby and Ali,

Will try to keep my velcro less tight and stretch the head at the same time.

Out of curiosity what width velcro do you all use for the top of blinds?

Comment

20mm white
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by alic
                        Hi jules try pulling the fabric a bit tighter when sewing velcro on put your hand behind the needle and pull the fabric withleft hand and right hand in opposite directions to give more =tension if this makes any sense
                        Do exactly what Alic says.
                        Also you may need to adjust the foot pressure. Slacken it off a bit at a time until there just enough pressure to allow the feed to work. Its the pressure of the foot on the velcro or tape which causes it to stretch very slightly as it goes on.

Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil. I had hoped my walking foot would stop that from happening but I'll do some testing tomorrow.

Comment

You should be able to release the foot pressure using the knob on the top of your machine Jules. let me know if it works
                            Jane

Comment

Working...
                            X