Making rods pockets and attaching velcro - Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making rods pockets and attaching velcro - Video

I'm making roman blind linings at the moment and thought I'd do a little video for you all - This alone is reason enough to have a padded table! No comments on my bald patch please, I already know about it!

This blind is 148cm wide, the drop is 100cm but I never cut the exact required drop, I'll cut that when I put the velcro on. I have also rail roaded the lining which is Evapure standard roman blind lining.

Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: Making rods pockets - Video

Hi phillip.
    Many thanks for the video. It was very timely as I have been thinking about the way I make my pockets and have always gone from the top down. However, I have mostly found that this is not always satisfactory as I get a slightly bigger drop on the last flap than I originally intended and this results in it hanging below the folds when up. I was going to post about this and what others did - you must have read my mind! I shall be following your method from now on.
    Also - one question (and I'm sure the answer is obvious) .... why do you make the first rod pocket 1cm and not 2cm as the others are? I have always made them the same. perhaps this is why I get the above problem??

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. It is really appreciated.
    Sas

Comment

Hi Philip

You make it look so easy!!! very confident.

I have been making blinds this week and have used a crochet hook to score the lining and as you say using the correct lining makes a huge difference.

Philip and I once did a skype video call where he showed me how to stab stitch without hanging the blind, I shall be trying this again on this blind I am making.

Again it a confidence thing.

Thanks Philip

Kathy
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Philip,

Thanks so much for the video and nice to put a face to the voice. You're a real GEM
        Ursula

Comment

Originally posted by sas
          Also - one question (and I'm sure the answer is obvious) .... why do you make the first rod pocket 1cm and not 2cm as the others are? I have always made them the same. perhaps this is why I get the above problem??

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. It is really appreciated.
          Sas
          I allow 1cm for the first pocket because it is a single section, the pockets above are 2cm because they are double sections. Basically it's 1cm per section. This is the seam allowance, when sewn the pockets are all the same size.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Re: Making rods pockets and attaching velcro - Video

Oh yes of course.......I know what you mean now I knew it was obvious but for some reason I thought you were making the first pocket smaller!!

sas

Comment

Oh my you have been a busy boy this afternoon Philip! on the last video when sewing the Velcro on you do have a row of stitches -these stitches do they show on the front of the blind? Also my other question is when stab stitching don't you stab stitch with the rods in?

Thanks Kathy
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

I have one row of stitches only at the front of the blind, this is 1/4cm from the top - The rods are put in last after the stab stitching has been done.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Great videos Philip. Especially the tip about putting the bottom batten in to help move the blind down the table when stab stitching.

Any chance of a video actually showing you stab stitching with the blind on the table? I've always done it that way but would really value seeing how you do it as sometimes I struggle - especially on a wide blind. Tried stab stitching with the blind hanging recently but found it more awkward
                  Jane

Comment

Gosh, the wonder of t'interweb! I must have made hundreds of Roman blinds, but isn't it great to know that you can always learn something new - this has made my day!

Comment

Fab video Pip! Thank you

Now how do you stab stitch on the table WITHOUT attaching ones self to the table itself . Hence why I stab stitch whilst the blind is hanging

Great fun when there's two of you to pass through the needle eh Kathy Left a bit,,,,right a bit,,,to me,,,,to you

Gosh you have a real knack of making thing look easy Philip.

Right,,,,,now back to my piped silk tie backs

Any chance of a video of constructing a pair of those,,,,ok,,,,ok,,,,am I pushing my luck now?

Comment

Just had a look at the video - superb...... I have made quite a few in the past, but it's always great to see how other people do things, and I've certainly picked up some 'tips' which I will use next time.

Thanks again.

C.B.

Comment

I always railroad linings if the drop allows, saves the hassle of joining fabric.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                          X