Fibreglass rod cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibreglass rod cutter

Jones Interiors have started supplying a reasonably priced cutter for the fibreglass rods used in roman blinds. Looks a little like an old fashioned paper guillotine, would stand on a worktable rather than hand-held.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Fibreglass rod cutter

Thank you Louise for that info.
    I use a pair of old garden secateurs and they work a treat. Always remember to wrap cellotape or masking tape around the ends before cutting.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Yes, I use secateurs too (I think after you recommended them) but I find they sometimes become loose and start to 'chew' the cut ends a little. M&D used to sell a handheld cutting tool but I seem to remember it was pretty expensive?

I thought this looked worth mentioning - although secateurs are definitely better than a hacksaw.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I phoned Merrick and Day a few months back to order their rod cutters and was told that they no longer sold them as their supplier had gone into receivership ( sign of the times, I guess ) I thought they were sold for about £12 ? but they were hand held ones.

Cat C.
        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I too use garden secatuers, the ratchet type, much easier than the bypass ones. They work a treat and much much cheaper!

I still manage to get splinters in my finger tips though,,,,,,,,oooo It hurts

Comment

Ooh some one else who gets those splinters!!!! Will look into this cutter though sounds good.

Sophie

Comment

Ooo those splinters.
              I found that wearing latex gloves used to help, but the best way I found not to get them was to cut them directly over a bin and not the table as then the splinters scatter all over the table and that's when you get them in your fingers.
              Put them straight into the rod pockets after cutting.
              Oh one other tip... I make sure I have my glasses on when I cut them. A friend of mine got a splinter in her eye! And it really hurt, luckily her husband is a GP so was able to rinse her eye out and save the day. Otherwise it would have been off to the hospital.
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Glover Bro's do a cutter as well but I don't know how much it is. I think I will investigate as I hate the splinters too!

http://www.gloverbros.co.uk/Curtain%...man_blind.html

Comment

OH! fibre glass in the eye sounds rather painful

I do use a cardboard box under my rods while cutting, I have a piece of selotape on the cut mark then cut the length, the add another piece to cover the end once cut, then I insert the rod.

I still get those horrid splinters I had one in my top lip last week, heaven knows how it got there

I think I need latex gloves and a balaclava, thanks Penny!

Comment

Hi
                    I have the Jones fibreglass cutter and it is fab never had a splinter since i started using it about 3 months ago
                    Karen

Comment

Hi,

I put sellotape around the rods before cutting to length and over the ends before i push rods into channels, i find if i dont, its then that i get splinters from them through the material when handling blind.

Louiserose

Comment

Tam!!!!! You're not supposed to suck the rods/hold them in your teeth!!!!!!

Comment

My skin gets really irritated for days with the stuff, so I use plastic gloves when cutting, then put on the little white plastic end caps that I buy from Merrick and Day.

Cat
                          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

It's funny, the splinters don't affect me at all. That's not to say I'm not careful, but I must have thick skin!
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison
                            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                            X