pockets for roman blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pockets for roman blinds

hi could anybody advise me which is the preferred way when making pockets for roman blinds should i make the pocket from the lining , or use a strip of lining make a pocket and then stitch it to the lining hope this makes sense, just had 2 glasses of wine . I have previously used tape which hasnt been a problem but would like 2 start using lining pockets with little eyelets in think they look dead smart ! and ive got a rather fussy customer wanting her whole house done in romans .thanks x

Re: pockets for roman blinds

Hi Alic

I always make my pockets out of the lining - I dont use tape or make seperate pockets (wonder if I would sew them straight!!) I have not use the tiny eyelet machine, there is a posting on this site about this subject though.

Kathy
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Comment

Does not seem much point in making separate pockets, more cutting, stitching and raw edges. Gave up with the tape as such, but you could sew that onto the lining only if you wanted . Have not tried the little eyelets, can just about cope with rings, so not much advice from me. Sorry,

Enid

Comment

Hi Alic

The quickest and smartest way is by far rod pockets sewn into the linings. When calculating the drop of your lining fabric you will need to allow extra on the un-finished length for the rod pockets. I allow 1cm for the first rod pocket (bottom of blind), and 2cm's for everyone thereafter.

(what you are doing in actual fact is adding a 1cm seam allowance to the fold.. 3 rod pockets = 7 folds but the seam allowance in added at the pocket and I have based this on 4mm rods)

People tend to cut everything to the perfect size, peice by peice - This isn't necessary, all I do is cut and fold my main fabric to the correct size, the linings I fold in to the required width, square off at the bottom and leave the top, this can be cut to size after attaching to the main fabric.

The easiest way is to get a length of lining, fold the sides to you required width and leave the length. On a piece of paper work out you spacings - Finished drop, minus track/headrail allowance (deepest point) - Divide remaining by an odd number to work out the required number of pockets.. Once you're happy with the spaces inbetween the rods add you pocket allowance...

EG:

Roman blind 99cms drop, headrail at the deepest point is 7cms

99 - 7 = 92

92 / 7 = 13.1

(Add the headrail depth which is 7cm's to the first pocket calculation which is 13 - This figure will tell you the length of the blind when fully pulled up - In this case the blind will pull up to 20cm's)

Mark your first line at 14 cms (extra 1cm seam allowance for the first rod)

Double the measurement and mark your second and third line at 28 (seam allowance included)

I mark my linings face down using a straight edge and a very fine crochet hook - Using the crochet hook with a small amount of pressure across the lining to score the fabric. I then use the score line as my folding guide.

Fold the scored line, crease with your thumb nail, take to your sewing machine and machine each rod pocket with a 1cm allowance. Sew all pockets at 1cm to form the pocket.

If you fold the blind and put a soft fold line in between each rod pocket you will see either a rod pocket or soft fold line every 13cms. .. You will have your bottom rod pocket at 13cms - fold line at 26cm's - rod pocket at 39cms - fold line at 52cms - final rod pocket at 65 - fold line at 78 - head rail.

You will have either a rod pocket or fold line every 13cm's forming a ladder like look to your lining.

Attach the lining to the main fabric and stab stitch under each pocket to secure the fabrics together - Maintain the same tenstion - I usually stab stitch every 15 cms unless the fabric pattern or rings and cording dictates otherwise.

Hope this makes sense Alic.. If not, drop me a line.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

thankyou all so much for your help , its lovely to be able to ask people different ways of doing things i find this forum sooooo helpful ,iam going to have a go at making a roman with lining pockets and eyelets tomorrow got all boring housework jobs and tescos done today , thanxs again x

Comment

Working...
          X