What to charge to ammend remake roman blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to charge to ammend remake roman blinds

Hi please help I have recieved a call from a customer to say that the blind was short.
    I was very shocked a I always check he measurenents again and check again. In this case I had asked the customer to sign as these were her measurments.
    My figures are correct and she would like me to alter them.What I have never on earth should I charge? I have never done this before I only charged £85 for the blind which was far to little.

Also if I alter them do I lengthen from the top they are 10cm short.Surely this will make the pleats/folds look odd.
    Please help urgently as she is coming today to drop off the blinds. What should I charge??

Re: What to charge to ammend remake roman blinds

Hi
    I am having a bad day too, trying to get away on holiday and everything is going t,,,,,,,,ts up !!! here curtains not hanging properly very baggy saggy crappy fabric !!!! deep breath

however if the customer gave you the measurements and they are too short ,then surely that is her fault and she will either have to pay the full amount again as its a total re make tpo get your spaces even or she could have them let down from the bottom if enough fabric (might need a false hem or border ) and have a big bottom pleat .if you go from the
    velcro top the top pleat may hang to low hope your day gets better.

Comment

I agree, if you correctly made them to her measurements then you will have to charge the same to remake them - don't forget you will have to undo them as well which takes time. Explain to her that it will take as long/even longer to remake them as it did to make them in the first place.

An alternative is, as Alic says, is to put a band on the bottom to lengthen them.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

The customer agrees that it was her fault, she gave me the measurments and signed to say that they were correct.It was the first time that I had asked a customer to sign and im so glad that I did.
        The customer wants them lenghtened from the bottom patterned fabric,I have explained that it will be difficult to match,she accepts this,the blind are also interlined/lined. What should I charge?
        Also if the join shows too much she suggested that it could be covered beading to disguise the seam.

Comment

It's up to you - work out how long you think it will take, allowing for admin/organising etc. I reckon a couple of hours.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison

Comment

I would have thought at least more than half the original cost..... One cannot just ' add a bit on', as we all know it does NOT work like that and the unpicking takes as much time as the making does in a situation like this.. the lining needs attention as well as interlining.

Can I be out on a limb and suggest that your customer considers a new one??????? If you felt that you undercharged her in the first place, and you charged her the same again, she could well still be cheaper in the long run. You don't say what the size is, it might be an exercise in costing to find out what she should/could have paid elsewhere, but at least she won't have to pay you to unpick and generally fiddle and it will result in a much better end product. By the time she has paid you, paid for the bead trim over the join...........there is not much fun or pleasure in redoing and often looks it...just a suggestion but worth considering???

Enid

Comment

I'm with Enid here. It is so time consuming and tedious to unpick and remake (I know from bitter experience!). You are also left with needle marks (in my case they never properly came out), and the chance of overworking the material if the unpicking is difficult.

Could you perhaps make a scallop, or wave edge contrast on the bottom, perhaps with a bead edging? There is a beautiful one in the gallery viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1177#p5767

Best of luck, you have a rotten job to do!

Regards, Jessie
              I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

On reflection, you're right, Enid, it would take more than a couple of hours.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison

Comment

Working...
                X