Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackout, bolton twill or dimout?

Hi

I'm new here and despite trawling through lots of relevant posts I can't quite find the right answer to my question, so I'm wondering if anyone here can help me!

My client has asked if I can add blackout lining to an existing Roman blind. It is stab stitched, so I reckon I could probably take it apart from the bottom hem, cut through the stabs, insert some blackout lining and redo the stab stitching. Hopefully it wouldn't look like a dish cloth by the time I finish!

My dilemma is what to use to get the blackout effect. 3 pass has the obvious problem of stitching holes causing light bleed, plus it might make the already interlined blind too thick to fold nicely. My supplier says bolton twill is not blackout, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that it might be. Would dimout help?

Any advice gratefully received on both the fabric and also whether anyone has ever successfully added an 'interlining' to an already constructed Roman.

If this isn't a good idea, I will persuade my client to go for blackout curtains and keep the blind as is...

Isobel

Re: blackout, bolton twill or dimout?

Hello Isobel

Welcome to the forum - I used to use bolton twill to B/O line my blinds but stopped in favour of using 3pass B/O lining sandwiched in between the face fabric and lining, thus using 3 layers. I then stab sticth the layers and have never had a problem with light bleed.

This has been discussed within the roman blind section many times.

Hope this helps!

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Yes, I can vouch for that. I went through a phase of using dim-out, but it was stretchy and not nice to work with. I have now settled on Philips method. Currently I am making 2 romans in hand block printed silk by Clarissa Hulse interlined and black-out lined. I have used the combined interlining/blackout available by the metre from Merrick and Day and am very impressed at the way they are turning out. The combo of interlining/blackout is not as bulky as two separate layers, and is easier to work with too. I am using the same method as Philip.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Philip and Sue

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. Sorry I've been quiet but have been on holiday. I've interlined the Roman with blackout lining and put it all back together, and it looks just like it did before, so hopefully my client will be quite happy!

My only worry is that the original lining of the blind has already started to pull apart at the stab stitches, leaving holes which I've had to sew around - very fiddly! I hate doing re-work. Is this normal behaviour for a heavy Roman, or does it indicate inferior quality lining? i think the blind was expensively custom made, so I will have to find out where it was done!

Enjoy the sunshine.
        Isobel

Comment

I have used black bolton twill as a layer sandwiched between face fabric and lining. Works fine and gives a bit of bulk. I have also used black out as a normal lining stab stitched and yes you get light bleed but there is no such thing as blackout. You will get light bleed at the top at the edges etc.

I have never tried sandwiching between the face fabric but I cannot really see much point in that. You will still see a pin prick or two but perhaps softened a tad with the lining. In any case you only see the pin pricks when the light is shining directly on the blind. That all depends on the position of the window to the sun, perhaps during the day when it is up and will not be seen. Unless you do a survey of the site with a compass you cannot tell. Usually full sun in the morning is Northish facing I think

I would not place much value on pricks of light for the following reason. I made beautiful interlined curtains with Harlequin fabric, interlined with 260g interlining and lined with Chromax Crease Resist. I religiously interlocked every 1/4 width. I still got a comment from the client about a pin prick of light which was noticed by her husband. He must have been using a magnifying glass??? I had not used blackout lining nor had I promised blackout. I told the customer the only way to get a thread through fabric was with a needle??!!!.. I rest my case.
          Karen Rhodes
          Karen Rhodes Design
          Pole Design

Comment

Working...
          X