Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobbled Roman Blinds

Hi all

I'm still struggling with a pair of hobbled Romans for my Kitchen. At last I got a couple of days off last week and finished them off. I fitted the first, and after a bit of tweaking it looks fabulous, and I was chuffed to bits because I had fretted over them for ages as there are no easy instructions for the fitting.

I cut the batten to hang the second one and went off to attach the blind. Disaster! It's your worst nightmare! The blind was 10 cms too narrow! I nearly freaked out.

I've come to terms with it now, and have several options. I would like to know what everyone thinks, I know I have to unpick everything I've done up to now (it isn't an option to buy more material, as the shop has none left).

1. Do I put a narrow border along both edges in the lining contrast. This means I will also have to do the other blind to match.
    2. Do I add another piece of blind material on the far side, which won't be too obvious especially when the blinds are up.
    3. Do I scrap them and start again, bearing in mind that I have re-covered my kitchen chairs in the same fabric.

I would be really grateful for your ideas, one of which will be to measure more carefully in future!

Yours Hopefully, Jessie
    I'd rather be sewing!

Re: Hobbled Roman Blinds

Oh dear Jessie, but I think we've all been there.

Any of the options are feasible - if you don't mind having a seam on one side, then that's the easiest. But how about covering the seam with braid, doing the same on the other side and the other blind? Otherwise I would put borders on both.

But dont scrap them!

Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I'm with Pen, make a feature of it and it then becomes part of the design rather than a mistake..

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hobbled Romans (again!)

When I last posted, I was really down in the mouth as the second blind of a pair was slightly too narrow. I have gone through this excellent site with a fine tooth comb looking for tips and hints, and have come to the conclusion that I could do a far better job of my blinds by starting from scratch.

I started last night by unpicking the largest blind which was too narrow, but as I am going so far I wondered if I could pick your excellent brains yet again about the feasibility of making these blinds more robust by using some kind of stiffening agent. Both fabrics are very soft and fine which makes the material very difficult to work with. I remember years ago making some roller blinds and using a spray stiffener. Maybe an iron on interface?

I am also finding that the material is quite badly needle marked where I have unpicked. Is there any way of getting rid of these?

I'm at work at the moment and I can't wait to get home to finish unpicking, and practice my new found knowledge!

Thank you all, in anticipation....
        I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

Re: Hobbled Romans (again!)

Fowards and backwards, gently at first, with a finger nail is a good way to put the threads back in place.

Comment

I wouldn't stiffen a roman blind, but use interlining which will give it body. Cut the interlining to the finished width and length.

Don't worry too much about the needle marks - as it is a hobbled blind, these should be hidden.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi rantalot...

I didn't like to say yesterday as I was in the minority, but I would have started again...

I think you would not have been happy with a 'make do'.

I find it totally soul destroying to unpick and start again, but I think you will be happier with the result in the long run.

Very carefully is my only advice, one stitch at a time, and carefully close the gaps between the threads as best you can. Once remade, minor imperfections will be invisible.

Good Luck.

Sue.

Comment

By the way... how did you make your hobbled blind? I have never made one, as I get confused about all the different methods. Not settled on one yet, that looks simple and effective.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Suel,

Making the blinds was easy, no different to ordinary Romans. I looked at various methods of achieving the 'waterfall effect, and I found the method which worked for me was an adaptation of the tape method. I actually used the transparent tape with loops stitched into it instead of sewing rings on (the material I used was very fine, and would have torn). To get the waterfall effect I shortened the tape so that it slightly pulls the space between the rods, and it looks great. From the back it is really neat, and laying the tape on evenly means I didn't have to weaken the fabric by sewing on rings. I think the tape I used was originally meant for Austrian Blinds (remember them?)

I am currently still unpicking - one stitch at a time. I'm hoping to be able to begin again at the weekend (fingers crossed the husband is fishing!)

I think I know how I am going to tackle the fix on the width, by adding the extra fabric I need for the width, and bringing it to the front as a border, so that I can still get the rods through.

This has gone from being a project to 'run up' a pair of kitchen blinds, to being a massive learning curve for me. Thanks so much to all for your interest in my project, and all the help you have given me. It's a pity that the need to earn a living intrudes into my sewing time!

Thanks to all! Jessie
                  I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

Working...
                  X