Roman blind batten pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman blind batten pocket?

So, having seen many roman blinds made elsewhere, most differing in how the bottom edge is finished, how do you do yours?

Do you mitre the bottom pocket insert the batton/bar and herringbone to the interlining?
    or,
    Like others make a 5cm pocket folding up over the lining, stab stitch throught to the front (or run a machine stitch line accross though heaven knows why!), slide the batton in seal by sewing the ends?
    or,
    Make the pocket slip stitch then take the lining over the top of the pocket so less fabric is showing on the reverse from the outside window view?

All examples I have seen when having a nosey at other peoples homes whilst measuring !!!I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Re: Roman blind batten pocket?

I am a bit old fashioned here and always finish the bottom of my blinds with a mitre and then herringbone all the way round to the interlining. I then draw the lining over and slip stitch to within 10mm of the edge of the blind round the three sides. I think the corners sit better this way and the blind looks more consistent from the outside. I must add, however, That I have seen some lovely blinds made where the maker has simply folded up the bottom seam and inserted the bottom bar or batten after the blind is complete. As long as it sits straight, hangs well and doesn't look unsightly from the outside when it is pulled up, I believe it to be one of the least important features and prefer to concentrate on what I can see from the front rather than the back.

Comment

Aww and theres me thinking you were an absolute perfectionist ~front and back. :P

I think I worry too much It so interesting seeing how things are constructed differently. The only option I detest is the one with the machine stitch along the bottom, they are usually the one with tape machined on by the lovely big competitors we fight weekly

Comment

Re: Roman blind batton pocket?

Well I am when I make mine T but I am willing to accept that the way I expect my blinds to look when they are finished may conflict a little with the expectations of other professionals. This doesn't necessarily make them bad people, well not all the time anyway!

I firmly believe that no stich line of any form should impede the smoothness of the front of the blind which is why I have a love hate relationship with stab stitches. The only time it is acceptable to me to put in a line of stitches along the top is when the top of the blind is going to fold over the top of a batten and in this case the stitching doesn't show so it maked little difference.

Comment

I have one customer who insists I bring the face fabric up the rear of the blind as far as the first rod pocket.......but only one(!)
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Louise when I was at the silent gliss course last year, their blinds were like that. I just couldnt for the life of me figure out why the would need to be. They were made soooooooo unbelieveably bad I had to say so Stitching on the front too, I shuddered ! They spent pretty penny with all the lastest gadgetety stuff and took no consideration over the display stuff!

Comment

Hi all, just picking up this post as I always have problems with bottom bars - they always fall forward rather than standing up vertically, I have tried various ways of finishing the bottom hem, but nothing seems to stop this problem - I even used double sided tape to hold it in place last time a made a roman, but even this didnt work. Does anyone know a sure fire way of avoiding this problem? I always interline my romans, and am never quite sure where to put the bottom bar Is it best to put the bar in the lining, or in a pocket made by the face fabric? Behind the interlining or in front of it?

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has had this problem and solved it - I am very happy with all the other elements of my romans, and its so disappointing when the bottom isnt right!

Thanks
              Gail

Comment

I've just made a 3m wide blind. I did a 5cm double hem and took the lining and interlining up to the first 5cm fold. I then inserted the bottom bar and (I think) the layers of fabric x 2, lining x 2 and interlining x 2 held it firmly in place as it hasn't fallen forwards at all.
                A tip I picked up somewhere - is when you place your lining on your blind - fold the hem of the lining up on the right side - that way if you have joins in your lining the bottom bar doesn't catch on the seams - hope that makes sense!
                Jacqui
                Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Hi Jaqui, thanks for your advice, I have already cut interlining to size, but will take lining down to the first hem fold. Do you slide your bottom bar in from the side once the pocket is made, or do you fix it in first with dst then sew hem?
                  Gail

Comment

I always mitre the bottom of my roman blinds (I like a mitre) and fold interlining and fabric up and slip stitch lining 1cm up from bottom.

However, I recently saw a blind with the bottom bar in a double folded hem in lining which was then slip stitched to outside of fabric at about 1cm up.

It looked really smart (surprisingly as it doesn't sound as if it should) so I thought I would try it out on a blind with thick fabric to avoid the bulkiness at the bottom and it worked very well.

I have a velvet blind coming up so will use again on that one..I'll post an image.

Jessie

Comment

Hi Gail. Actually I double hem my lining (having thought about it) so that it sort or creates a pocket with the hem. Then I turn up the double 5cm hem of fabric, interlining and lining, sew down one side of the hem and slide the bottom bar in as the very last job and sew up the other end. I always use the rigid alluminium bottom bars although I have just bought some pvc ones to try - they appear to be very bendy mind so I'm going to have to be careful which blinds I put them in.
                      Jacqui
                      Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

I do mine with a mitre, like Jessie, but I find the bar falls around a bit and have been thinking of changing. I like the look of the double 5 cm hem folded up, the bar looks more snug, and it will be quicker than making a mitre, for me at least. So I'm going to give that a go.

Comment

We don't have a problem with the bar moving. I machine a single pocket at the bottom of the lining. This goes into the fabric hem which has the raw edge turned under which is slipstitched at the top of the lining pocket, taking the stitches through to the interlining every so often. Before closing each end of the pocket the bar is slipped into the lining pocket. I do like the mitre look, but we've found this way works best for us.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                          X