Roman Blind where to make division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Blind where to make division

THe window is split in 2/3 - 1/3 where the frame is. My natural reaction is to make two roman blinds joining at the division of the window which will not be equal but if I continue the pattern along it would probably look OK. eg one blind 150cm the other 50cm. Any comments??
    Karen Rhodes
    Karen Rhodes Design
    Pole Design

Re: Roman Blind where to make division

Not sure I understand why you need to split the blind - Is the window too big to do one blind? If it is, I don't think you have to follow the lines of the frame. If the blind is down, it's unlikely they'll be opening & closing the window so you could split in the centre which, I personally think would look better than 2/3 and 1/3.
    Good luck
    Jane
    Jane

Comment

My maximum width limit on a roman blind is 2m w, so I would opt for a single 2m blind,but use ali rods and bottom weight bar/batton. Failing that I'd opt to go with the mullins (SP?) of the window and dress appropriately.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Comment

The max I make is 175cm's wide - Simply because I don't want to make wider and won't make wider... If making blinds for wider windows, I always follow the design of the window and work as you suggest Tam, I would never consider having two blinds meet in the middle of a pain of glass.. I would not be happy with the way it looks from the outside.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Varied opinions.

If doing two blinds I would work with the window frame I think. Potentially I could make one blind 240cm wide x 104cm long but not sure if these proportions would look a bit odd? Perhaps a roller would be better as less obtusive.
          Karen Rhodes
          Karen Rhodes Design
          Pole Design

Comment

Oooo Karen I thought it was 2m overall, 2.4m is realy big! I get a bit wobberly when blinds are bigger than the 2m but client insists they are to be made in one length

Shut your eyes, visualise the window, go with your instincts, they are usually right If it were your home what would you do ( and dont say "I dont know"!!!! I am a total nightmare designing anything for my home!)

Comment

Karen - Probably more than 50% of the blinds I make are this width and I have never found the need to split one yet.

The big difference comes when you hang the blind using a rotary blind track. I have virtually stopped using cord now as the effort in hauling up a large interlined blind is not what I want my clients to undertake whenever they want to operate it. It should be a pleasure not a chore to do this. A good quality rotary track is effortless to operate in comparison and completely changes the concept of hanging large blinds.

I think that the answer to the question of if and where to split the blind can be easilly answered in the question "would the client ever want to raise only one side of the blind without the other?" If the answer is yes then the division becomes a design feature and is justifiable. If the answer is no it should be just one blind and not two.

Try the rotary tracks Karen - You will never look back. Trust me I'm a man

Comment

Yes I agree about the rotary track.
                In this instance I would use the Silent Gliss 2320 as It does not use tapes but cord wound onto a barrel (still with the bead chain) You only need a small allowance a the top and I don't want lots of material hanging in front of the glass.

I am not phased making this width really as in my experience the rotary chain device works better on wide blinds than long thin ones where the strain is all at the top. Still not sure whether I would make the one or the two blinds though.
                Karen Rhodes
                Karen Rhodes Design
                Pole Design

Comment

I will look at the Silent Gliss tracks Karen - I am not familliar with them and I would like to have a system where there is not so much of the blind lost at the top. I would need to swap over completely though as I would need to buy the component parts to build myself. Thank you for that Karen I will do my research.

Comment

I have not used the 2320 and the 2330 systems myself yet. I was using the 2020 and recently used the geared 2120. Have quite a bit of experience with these tracks. There are benefits to the rotary chain system and I do a lot of work in period properties where the windows are long and thin. You end up with an awful lot of cord using the other systems. The 2320 only need a small space at the top - handy when you dont want the blind to block out a lot of light. The blind I mentioned before would be 240cm wide 108cm long and I think if one blind can be made then it probably be the best option with neat sized folds.
                    Karen Rhodes
                    Karen Rhodes Design
                    Pole Design

Comment

if you wanted to add a flat pelmet, while using this rotary track using the top fixed bracket so it goes to the ceiling in a box bay window with a very wide facing blind and two small sides in order to hide the track view would you put the track onto a pelmet board first so you can fit your pelmet to the front and sides.

Comment

there is no recess in this box bay you see. so the track is visible.

Comment

Working...
                        X