SILK BLACKOUT INTERLINED ROMANS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SILK BLACKOUT INTERLINED ROMANS

I have a client who needs 2 romans for her bedroom. It is a hand block printed silk, so we immediately discussed interlining. Later she said, 'oh by the way I also want them to be blackout lined'.

Not sure which is the best way to tackle these, they are both single width and not too long. Should I use face/interlining/blackout with the rods pockets made in the blackout OR face/bonded interlining & blackout/normal sateen lining with the pockets made in the normal lining?

The bonded stuff appears to only be available by the whole roll which I cannot justify. I want to make a good job of these, as there is an entire house at stake, if she is pleased with these, and she is a returning customer after about 8 years.

The blackout is required but not to make total darkness in the room, as she has plantation shutters on the other side of the room, which do not shut out all light.

I promised her a quote today by E-Mail but now I am stumped as I cannot decide how to make them.

Thanks,
    Sue.

Re: SILK BLACKOUT INTERLINED ROMANS

Hi Suel
    I always use the blackout as the interlining and then normal lining with rod pockets. Te blackout gives more body and then you don't get gaps at the side where the light shines through. Hope that helps
    Janie

Comment

Re: SILK BLACKOUT INTERLINED ROMANS

Could you use blackout as an interlining, between the outer fabric and lining? That way you'd only have occassional holes from the stab stitches rather than lines from the rod pockets. I've done this and it worked really well. I also used the thicker domette (260g) as it was for kids' bedrooms in an extremely exposed house (front faced right on to the sea, single track road width from the beach). They're really thick and cosy.

Or is your silk very pale? If it's not you could use the black bolton instead as an interlining. No problems with light shining through the stitch holes then. I don't understand why she wants blackout if she's not needing them though, so maybe if you explain the pros and cons to her, she'll understand and forget it. If she's not actually needing it for light reduction I don't see the point in doing it.

I've always bought my bonded lining/interlining from Merrick & Day and have always been able to purchase lengths rather than a full roll. Maybe it's changed but if you've not looked there, check it out.

Comment

Working...
      X