Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer moaning about too many cords on wide blinds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer moaning about too many cords on wide blinds!

Grrr. Customer who wanted v. wide blinds on battens is now moaning that there are too many cords and she wants less of them.

I try not to put my rings on further than 30 cm apart, and my first rings are close to the edges, so over a width of 232cm there were 9 rings, so 9 cords. There is an option of removing every other cord - although how this will impact on how the blind pulls up i don't know!

But my main question was whether you can get cord connectors in larger sizes that would accommodate more cords?

The 1.8 width blind has 6 cords, so a cord connector is definitely an option with that one.

Thanks very much,

V x

Re: Customer moaning about too many cords on wide blinds!

Worth ringing M&D tomorrow & asking how many cords will go through their cord connectors??? Or perhaps Collybrook have some big enough?
    Jane

Comment

Thanks jane.

Luckily im in Penny's workroom tomorrow so im going to see how many cords i can fit through a cord connector. From memory i think she has some thinner cord there, so that might be a possibility.

Out of interest, how close together do other people place their rings on batten headed blinds? I was taught to come in 1.5 cm from the lining edge and then no more than 30cm between rings. On tracks i come in 8cm from lining edge on both sides and then no more than 30cm between rings.

Is that overkill do you think?

V x

Comment

I put my a ring on each outside edge of the lining which is 3cm from the fabric and then every 25-30cm (but no more than 30cm) across the blind.

Didn't this customer insist on cords? Wide blinds = lots of cords.....silly customer!
        Jane

Comment

Yep!

I have a feeling she is going from the blinds she had up before, and although i haven't seen them, i am guessing they has less cords!!

As long as i have done everything right from a make point of view, then i shall just do what is necessary to make her happy.

I have suggested removing every other cord, but leaving the rings and guides in place incase the blind starts to react and we need to rethread them. But i think the main problem is she doesn't like handling all the cords, so if i can get the cord connector to work, she will be happy.

Blo ody people! Never happy

Comment

On a blind that size we would use 5 cords, or maybe six.
            We use 6mm dowel and put rings 8cm in from each end then about 60cm apart. We have found that so long as your dowel is stiff enough not to flex between rings you shouldn't have a problem.
            In fact I have just fitted a 235cm wide by 160cm drop blind with 5 cords and it works fine.

Phil.

Comment

Hi Phil.

Are you using wooden dowel, fibreglass ....?

I am using fibreglass and obviously with that there is flexibility.

I have never had a complaint before regarding cords, however these are the first blinds i have done that wide! Good to have others people opinions on what their make would have been.

It pulls beautifully by the way

Comment

What about plaiting the cords, they look really neat, customer's usually impressed and in this case she will then have only 1 cord to deal with? I start off with a knot at the top. Also I would tell her that if she wants less than your advised number of cords then you can't accept resposibility for the for the future 'behaviour' of the blind. I should think that was a hard blind to make due to the width and she should be more grateful!!
                Good luck
                janie

Comment

How about suggesting she switches to a rotary chain headrail? Plaiting the cords doesn't really help, nor does using a cord connector, because you still have all the cords to wrap around the cleat when the blind is up.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I think a rotary track would be great in this situation but this is the customer who was adamant she did not want a rotary track isn't it?????
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

For blinds upto 240cm wide we use 6mm wood dowel, the max length of the dowels.
                      For blinds over that size, and we have made them upto 350cm wide, we use the aluminium tilt rod from vertical blinds. These need the cords slightly closer together, but not much, as they are prone to flex marginally more than the wood dowel.

Phil

Comment

Yep, this is the customer who was adamant she did not want a rotary track as she couldn't abide the chains in her house! I think she has chain and cord phobia!

Fortunately Penny uses a much thinner, stronger cord which will thread through a cord connector. I think this may be the solution, as her main problem seemed to be the cords hanging down and looking untidy, rather than the effort of having to wind them around a cleat. I have three more blinds to make for her, so i am going to have to think about larger space ring placing i think.

The aluminum rods is something Penny mentioned to me yesterday also, but i hadn't known about before, so definitely this will be one of my many learning curves regarding how best to tackle wide blinds in the future.

Thanks for everyone's help. I am going to print these type of threads out i think and pop them in my work folder for easy reference at a later date x

Comment

Working...
                        X