Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide blinds - client stipulates batten fixing only!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide blinds - client stipulates batten fixing only!

Hiya,

I am the soft furnisher for a small upholstery business an they come to me mainly with make instructions, although sometimes i have make input, especially when i think there could be issues.

Well i have been asked to make two romans, one 188cm wide x 128 long and the other 232cm wide by 124 long. Straight away i said they were need to be on tracks, i was told the customer had vetoed them, apparently she will not have the visible chain (be it plastic or metal) in her house, they have to be on battens as her previous blinds were on battens at that size and she was perfectly happy with them.

I have suggested two blinds on the one window, the answer is no. On the plus side the fabric is very lightweight and will be interlined with domette and blackout lined.

My question is, is the feasible, as long as the blinds are carefully constructed on a large table, with plenty of rings and stab stitches, or is there any other option aside from a chain rotary track i could suggest?

Thankyou,

V

Re: Wide blinds - client stipulates batten fixing only!

You can get corded headrails (not rotary) up to 300cm long - they have a cord lock on the track so no looped chain http://www.merrick-day.com/acatalog/...il_System.html

If the client insists on a batten and cleat, then I would confirm the size and design clearly in writing as being to customer spec. and make sure there were plenty of cord drops - perhaps even 8 - and consider china cord guides and maybe a wheeled guide where all the cords come together before the cleat - make sure you charge accordingly.

[attachment=0:3niio5z5]wheel cord guide.jpg[/attachment:3niio5z5]
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

HI v,

Ive recently made a very large single roman blind 240cm wide x 140 deep that I put on a wooden batten, as it was a freebie for a good friend in need, and it looks stunning. If your worried about the weight of it etc . Instead of using the usual brass screw in hooks to pass the cord through you can use chinas and that would help with the smooth running of the cord and prevent excessive wear.

Hope this is of some help.

Karen
      Karen

[center:upvg08n4]Never regret the things you have done, just the things you havent![/center:upvg08n4]

Comment

MASSIVELY helpful, china cord guides have been suggested and i am going to go and investigate the further links now.

My other concern now is pricing. I have not managed to find a price plan i am satisfied with, at the moment i am massively undercharging and the upholsterers are happy to pay me more, they just want to know my price guide.

I have looked in the Registered members section and clicked through to all the sites listed that give online pricing quotes, but they are all so different!

I am confident that my make is to a high non-commercial standard, the company want to pay me London prices ( i know i am lucky!) , i wonder if anyone has any guidance as to what i should charge labour only, perhaps per foot?

I found this site but wondered if this was excessive as whilst lining and fabric aren't included, i'm not sure if anything else is?

http://www.countrycream.co.uk/blind-rom ... ac6549aa73

Lined - £11.00 per square foot
        Interlined £12.50 per square foot
        Blackout £14.50 per square foot

Thankyou!

V

Comment

HI,
          Can you explain more about the china cord run things. How do you fix them on ect??
          Ta Jane

Comment

China cord guides are used in place of screw eyes and come in either single screw or double screw fixing.

Comment

Hi V,

In 10 years I have never used a track. I have made some very wide blinds, and some very long. I like battens as they are simple and there is nothing to go wrong! They also fit nice and snugly to the wall if hanging outside recess. I cover with fabric to ensure they look nice from outside, if they are inside the recess. I use fairly substantial screw eyes (from Evans), and have never had a problem. The only issue I have found is that with a heavier/larger blinds a large size cord cleat is necessary, as the small ones are not big enough to hold the cords, or the screws are not long enough to get a good fixing. You can get cord locking mechanisms to fit to wooden battens if necessary, also from Evans or other places for a pound or two.

I'm not anti-tracks, just that I have not found them necessary, although if a customer insisted I would of course use one.

Sue.

Comment

Louise,
                corded headrails work the same way as a corded batten - all the cords go across the top to one side. On a rotary system, each cord has it's own drum which ensure the cords pull up straight and at equal speeds, making sure the blind pulls up neat and straight.

I think the only problem with a large blind on a batten is that they need to be pulled up carefully, and occasionally the cord lengths need to be adjusted as the long ones can stretch a bit (okay, that's two problems..). China cord guides or plastic cord guides are great - they are smoother and cause less friction than metal screw eyes.

Apprentice, you can only advise, but it is the client's decision in the end.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen - I was trying to show that there are 2 types of roman tracks available with different mechanisms, one rotary with the chain visible, and the other more like a batten with cords (but perhaps I just muddied the waters instead......). I wonder if there is less/more friction on the cords with a batten and eyelets than with a corded track?
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Friction is higher with the cord rubbing on the metal eyes and less on other materials like china and plastic. Some cord carriers have plastic wheels to reduce friction/improve cord running.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks everyone, i really really appreciate your advice.

We are going to go with the ceramic cord guides. Its a really good point about the cord stretching over time, does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality blind cord?

Comment

Great advise given as always...............

I do tend to use both rotary and batten systems.

I have had problems with the concealed rotary track systems such as as the deluxe ones supplied by Merrick & Day and Decorquip. The cords have jumped off the drum ( not sure how or why!) and its a nightmare getting the drum out of the track to re string the drum then getting them back in again . Its not a problem that arises frequently, but it does occasionally happen. My hearts sinks when a customer rings and tells me one of the cords has come loose as I know its not an easy job to rectify.

Has anyone esle found this problem with the concealed units

I knows theres no problem with the upholstered batten and cleat system and my mind does rest easier when a blind is fitted with this option, especially a blind of this size.

With regards the ceramic cord glides,,,,they are expensive so where do you all buy yours from. I got my last bulk order from Hunter and Hyland ,nearly fell through the floor when I got the bill. I havent come accross the plastic ones , so I'd be interested to find out who supplies them cheaper.

Apprentice, I hope your blind making goes well. Good luck x

Comment

Hi Tam
                          I have found exactly the same problem with the concealed units and because of this we do not offer them as an option.
                          I prefer the delux rotary chain tracks which I make up myself from separate components. This is my standard in the workroom.
                          I only do fabric covered battens if the customer specifically requires them. I have found in the past that when you make wide blinds with a batten fixing they never ever pull up straight and as Pen has said over time the cords will stretch.
                          It is really upsetting to go to a clients house to see a blind that you have lovingly made for them and find that it is sitting squint!
                          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Working...
                          X