Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First blind, can I just check I'm doing it right please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First blind, can I just check I'm doing it right please?

Hi all.

Ok I'm just making my first roman blind and I've followed the instructions on here (thank you!) and I think I've got my measurements right however I'm not doing a heading board just velcro at the top.

My finished blind will be 117cm long. Now the velcro is 2cm but as the lining goes to the top of the velcro do I have to add this 2cm as an extra measurement.

My example is this 117 - 2cm = 115 divide by 7 = 16.4

So I then do the next three markings at 32.8 giving me a total of 114.8. To which I would add the 2cm for my total 117?

Or as its just velcro'd to the top of the batton, do I do my calculation of 117 and divide by 7 which is 16.7? There is only .3 of a difference so does it matter? Sorry I'm a complete newbie

Also i'm a little unsure as to how to add the 1cm pocket seam allowance. Do I just add 1cm on to every one of the four markings I make?

Thanks for any help.... i've been looking at the fabric for days and I'm scared to start in case I go wrong!

Re: First blind, can I just check I'm doing it right please?

Hi Shirl

Can you confirm the finished length including the headrail please, can you also let me know the size of the headrail, measure the deepest point please including the cord drop eyes.

Thank you and welcome back!

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Philip. Thank you. I've ticked to keep signed in this time... duh!

Right then. When you say finished length including headrail, I'm assuming this is the 117cm. This measurement is from the bottom where I want the blind to finish to the top of the velcro. The lining will be the same length as the front fabric and then the velcro goes on the back. The headrail is fixed to the wall and I velcro onto it... at least I think that is what the headrail is. Sorry I told you I was a newbie

When I was following your directions I assumed that the headrail depth including cord drop eyes was for someone who was using a wooden batton and staple gunning to that. I thought that since I was just velcro'ing on to the front of the batton then I didn't need this measurement?

You really have to do another lovely video....

Shirl

PS I've got the bit about 1cm pocket allowance now. I was trying to add it to the numbers and found it didn't add up. Then I realised I could discount the 1cm as it would be swallowed up once sewn.

Comment

When making a roman blind you must minus the deepest point of your head rail, the picture below shows a headrail with cord lock, this measure 6cm and has to be taken away from the finished drop.

[attachment=0:365uhl8c]HEADRAIL_jpg.jpg[/attachment:365uhl8c]
        If using a wooden batten with metal screw eyes to carry the cords, the the deepest part of this should be taken away from the finished drop.
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

If I'm using a cord locking track I remove 9cm from my finished drop & divide whats left & if the chain type 11cm & divide whats left.
          your 2cm velcro will be included in the 9 or 11. I add 2cm to the cut size of lining to turn in at the top so that would be your finished length plus amount for each rod pocket plus 2cm turn in at top
          Does that make sense?
          Regards
          Mairi

Comment

Many thanks guys.

I haven't forgotten this thread. I set aside a day to do the blind after some fabby tuition from Philip, however I thought the rod pockets looked better on the inside of the fabric and then found out i'd put it in back to front! It has the rods in already so I may be able to salvage it however i've got a busy few days ahead now so sewing is out of the window

Will definately update when its finished..... just don't hold your breath.

Comment

Hmm well I got the blind more or less finished last night but I'm going to unpick it and start again as I've managed to make it slightly small in width

One thing I did notice however is that it 'billows' out a bit at the folds. Now this could probably be the material as its silky/taffeta with raised flowers on it. But whatever, I want it to lay neater.

I'm thinking about doing it this way http://www.terrelldesigns.com/howto-videoclips.htm Terrell puts rods in the folds as well which I imagine gives a really crisp finish to blinds. So I will make the blind as indicated on here and then add those rods. I will get there eventually lol!

Comment

One of my customers always puts rods in the folds and swears by it. She says they hang better, I've not tried it myself, I think it would make the blind more bulky.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                X