hiding the workings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiding the workings

Have a client who has a new house, lots of rooms etc etc.so there will be quite an amount of work ...to be shared !!

She has seen Romans in a friends house in the USA and has asked. These romans appear to have a ' return to the wall' to hide the workings . That I can almost understand but when they are pulled up that bit seems to pull up as well, thats the bit I cannot understand. She tells me that the end sides go 'pouffy', must be a USA expression, when pulled. Anyone got any ideas? I cannot access the CHF site , will google some of the websites from the USA but thought that I might ask here as well.

Enid

Re: hiding the workings

I posted a question about returns on roman blinds. It is in the Lounge area, Feb 19th "Roman Blinds with Returns" Have a look at the post and there is a photo of a way of hiding the sides of the blind.

Julie
    Julie

Comment

Sounds like they've got Austrian inclinations Enid.... Would love to see a picture if you find one. Do the 'sides' extend to the bottom of the blind or just sit at the top few inches to hide the workings? Now I'll never get back to sleep.

Comment

Hope I did not keep you up all night pondering, Rosie.
        From the way she described them, the blinds were definately romans and the side bit went all the way down...it was part of the fabric rather than an additional strip. The track appeared to be bent round to the wall or had a bit that went round to the wall on it. I suppose if the first pulley and ring was nearer the bend it could bring up the extra fabric but the blind would lose its structure and be slightly gathered at that point. Oh I really don't know and we have managed to talk her into the ones we can do, with bells and whistles on them as well, so I shall keep looking but.........

Enid

Comment

I have made a mock roman/valance for someone (no rods) with returns, copied from a magazine. It was on a 2-3" batten so the return was small. I simply made the fabric panel the width of the batten, plus the returns and continued the velcro round the corners. It worked fine, the fabric made a gentle fold.

If this has been seen in the US it could be a roman with no rods which are quite common there so this would make it softer and easier to 'bend', although I don't think it would have made a crisp 'return' all the way down the blind

I have an American furnishings book - will look in there. I would be interested to see if you find anything on the CHF forum.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hello Enid and Louise,

Perhaps Philip would be able to 'run a few prototypes up' in his 'spare time' and do videos?

You seem like the sort of chap to take on a challenge, Philip...........? Or perhaps you've seen them already on the American site?

Comment

I can see that you could make the blind width to include the returns, then use rings and no rods, but the bottom corners will stick out, I'm sure. You can put small returns on London blinds.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Enid,

What is she trying to hide? I make my blinds on a 2" x 1" and therefore there is less need for a return. I have made blinds on a 1/2" deep batten, where viewing from side on was an issue. Just trying to make life easier for you! Otherwise, I agree with the others, they sound more like unstructured blinds, either with no rods, or with the rods cut short level with the return. Have to seen the Heather Luke book How to Make Blinds? It is a useful one.

Sue.

Comment

She is not trying to hide anything, Suel, the romans are all outside the recess, some will have blackout lining for the front of the house, so I suppose she is trying to keep the light out and has seen these and liked them.
                  I agree with the shorter rods and rather think that a prototype might be the way to go . They are going on header rails rather than batten and cleat, thats what she wants. I will keep thinking, but romans are not my strongpoint....thats why I am sharing this job with another who does them much better and quicker than I do. .No names, no pack drill if you read this....you know who you are.

Enid

Comment

Header rails would make it harder to velcro a return in place.....are you sure you can't persuade her to have a small self-valance with a return instead? Although of course you still need to find a way to hold the return in place....

Can you visit this friend who has the blinds to inspect them? Or get some close up photos?

Love to know what you devise.....checked my US book and there was no answer there I'm afraid.
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

We did ask her for some photos, but the friend is in the States !!

This will be an ongoing job, she wants to chose all the fal-de-rals, bells and whistles BEFORE she chooses the fabrics!! God, don't I find them sometimes. Me and my friend will rise to the challenge!!

Enid

Comment

Head rails do not fit snug to the wall as battens do therefore there will be light bleed above the blind anyway.

Comment

She's been to choose fabrics and wants quotes for curtains now instead of romans .....YIPPEE

Shall stuff this in the' one day when I have nothing to do box' But if anyone ever sees..........
                          Don't you just love it when a problem goes away.
                          Enid

Comment

Working...
                          X