Roman blind weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman blind weight

If you have ever used a rotary track for a roman blind you may have noticed they usually have 2 gear options for different weight blinds.

I have just completed a blind and thought I would weigh it to try and give a guide to help know which to choose. (This blind has an unusually high number of rods to suit the customer).
    • 176cm wide, 210cm drop
      medium weight cotton fabric
      cotton sateen lining
      11 x 4mm fibreglass rods
      metal hem weight batten
      clear plastic rings

Once this was completed it weighed just over 2kg so I could use the standard 1:1 ratio gear on the 180cm track supplied by Merrick & Day.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Roman blind weight

Hi louise,

I have never used a rotary mechanism, having been put off somewhat by a self locking device that didn't ever work. How do they stand up to use and would you recommend them over my usual batton and screw eyes with cleat!!

Comment

Rotary blind tracks don't have locking devices, they have a gear and chain mechanism. Perhaps you are thinking of a corded headrail?

I use rotary tracks either when customers ask specifically for them (they already have one, or have seen one in a showroom), don't like the multiple cords and winding them round a cleat, or for situations where one wide or long blind is needed.

For example photos take a look at the Merrick & Day site http://www.merrick-day.com/acatalog/...Headrails.html
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise

At the end of last year I had 3 romans slightly larter in width and drop than yours linined and interlined and used the M&D larger gear option - no problem at all................ or at least not yet!

Morag

Comment

That's reassuring - another blind for the same customer is much wider (276cm) but only 145cm drop so I'm hoping that will be OK too. I can always swap for the larger 1:5 gear if disaster strikes.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Shelly,

I still have not converted from batten and screw eyes. I do occasionally use the cord locking devices that can be screwed onto the batten, I use these if the client has a tiled wall or UPVC frame and does not want to screw into them. They do work, but are misleading, as they only work when the weight of the blind is on it. If you are playing around testing before actually using them, they appear not to actually work. I get mine from Evans but Collybrook also do them.

I have many of these out in my clients homes and I have never had anyone call to say they are not working properly.

Sue.

Comment

Yes, Sue, I agree. The cord locks for battens do not seem to work until they have some weight in place....I have used them a couple of times but usually I find customers like the cords and cleat when they think of a roman blind.

I guess we try and cover all bases to keep the customer happy. I have also had a couple of customers where they have had expensive quotes from well known high street names and have been 'sold' the idea of the luxury roman track, so they are interested to see if I can supply the same fittings but come up with a different price.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

The other reason a cord lock might not work is that the cords are too fine for the roller to catch. But yes, customers phone me to say they cannot get the lock to work, and it is because they haven't fitted got the cords attached to the blind
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Louise,

been searching the forum for postings on large romans and found yours from March regarding the big blind that you did.....276cms. I am about to start one which is 284cm wide and 160 drop. It will be blackout and lined with normal lining and I am a tad concerned about the weight aspect. I was planning to use a heavier gear ratio for big blinds but it is such a big bu...r I am open to any advice that comes my way. Not don't do it .... the window position / door will not allow for curtains and a roller blind will not go with the house at all.
                  Advice folks?????

Enid

Comment

Enid,
                    it will be fine on a rotary track with the higher gearing to pull up the weight. Although I have made a heavy large blind on the 1:1 gear and it was fine. I still haven't figured out how to weigh a blind (except stand on the scales, deduct my weight etc!!)
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen, that was exactly how I was planning to weigh the blind.....on my own though!!

Not too happy about this one as it is the alternative to the hobbled blind that I asked you about, its one of those difficult clients so I want it to go up and stay up.

Enid

Comment

Fabric + blackout + lining weighs in at 7kg. The three widths of main fabric will be cut back so there will be a bit less but I cannot see it being more than 1kg weight at most, so its probably going to be more than the recommended max 5kg.
                        I know its sunny and warm out there but if anoyone does pick this up at some point, thoughts are appreciated.
                        Will assemble blind on Monday for fitting Friday so there is a bit of breathing space.

Enid

Comment

Hi there Enid,
                          One thing we may all have to watch out for....A judge is trying to get these chain operated blind systems banned in Scotland, after yet another child died when she got caught up, whilst climbing up to the window to wave goodbye to friends.
                          I'm sure it is only a matter of time before the manufacturer's have to come up with another idea to operate these blinds. I have to say, I still mainly use a covered batten with screw eyes but of course there are times when the blinds are too heavy, such as your case, or the client "wants" one
                          Helen

Comment

Sorry for delay in replying - been away camping for a few days.

I have probably inadvertantly supplied blinds too heavy for the 'standard' 1:1 gearing in the past and have never had a complaint. I would use the stronger gear and go for it.

I believe the chains on 1:1 systems have a joining clip with a stated breaking strain (e.g. would not support a toddler's weight without breaking) and when supplying for a child's room I always include (and point out) a safety clip to hold the chain taught and close to the wall.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise, I thought that you might be away. This is for a guest room so I doubt very much that there will be children sleeping in it, but I shall bear it in mind.
                              Will look into the heavier head rail etc and see how it goes.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                              X