Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top of Roman Blind

Hi All
    Have a dilemma and am tearing my hair out. Have spent the last few days, pattern matching and interlining and lining hand printed silk roman blind. Everything has gone really well and is looking fabulous. I sewed the velcro to the top last night and my finished width was supposed to be 67 3/4'' but once the velcro was sewn it has ended up at 67'' and I don't know why. I have unpicked and restitched and the same has happened again. Whenever I measure before the width is perfect and as soon as the velcro goes on it ends up at 67''. I am also concerned now as the print on the fabric is slightly rubberised so all the time I am stitching and unpicking the holes will just become holes and the fabric will be damaged.
    Really wanted to hang this blind soon and don't want to feel pressured as this makes mistakes but any advice would be very much appreciated.

regards
    smiley

Re: Top of Roman Blind

Hi Smiley,
    Is it because Velcro is very stiff, and the machine foot is 'pushing' it along? I find the best way to attach velcro is to hold the velcro on the fabric, about 6" away from the foot with the right hand, and then with the left hand behind, stitch, keeping the fabric taut and not letting the velcro move at all!

Have a practise, even on just a couple of layers of lining.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi

This happens all the time to me I always end up with the top being slightly smaller than the blind.

Just stretch it into place with a strong hand and the velcro should still hold in place
      Karen Rhodes
      Karen Rhodes Design
      Pole Design

Comment

I always stitch the velcro onto the lining first, about 3-4mm down from the top of the lining ( the lining is folded over to lie level with the top of the blind) and then just stitch the sides and top of the lining to the face fabric through the lining that sits between the top of the velcro and the top of the blind. Any shortening of the velcro is then only affecting the lining and only on the sides are you stitching through all the layers.

Julie
        Julie

Comment

Definately not a roman blind expert but in a previous curtain making business, the velcro was always sewn onto the lining for exactly this reason. The lining was then hand sewn across the top of the blind .

Enid

Comment

I too sew the velcro to the lining and slip stitch in place. I was thinking of reverting to sewing it to my top and folding over. Maybe I will just stick to a slightly 'pulled in top' on the lining rather than causing this to distort the face fabric. Using the walking foot makes the velcro distort the lining less. Maybe someone should redesign a velcro type product that doesn't cause this problem.

Comment

You could try attaching the velcro to the fabric with a very thin double sided tape before putting it through the machine. It might solve the problem of the fabric shrinking.

Does anyone do this as a standard?

Comment

I lay out the blind, attach a length of double sided sticky tape to the face fabric and then attach the velcro starting from the middle and working out towards the sides, check measurements and sew.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi All
                  thanks for all your advice.

I have had an answer from two different sources who say that it could be that the fabric is slipping away from the velcro and it might be an idea to get a walking foot???

The sticking thing, not sure about that , made a large blind once before and was asked to go back and redo as the sticky got unstuck!!! after a very short time and the sticky was very sticky. Also find that needle on the machine gets stuck on the sticky and I go through lots of needles.

Have also been given some advice to change my needle on the machine and have made a sample up today and changed the tensions etc on my machine and it is much better. so I think the combination of those will hopefully help. Still contemplating a walking foot though as got a few more silk blinds to do

regards
                  smiley

Comment

The sticking thing, not sure about that , made a large blind once before and was asked to go back and redo as the sticky got unstuck!!! after a very short time and the sticky was very sticky. Also find that needle on the machine gets stuck on the sticky and I go through lots of needles.
                    Use a 6mm double sided tape down the middle of the velcro, this is to hold the velcro in place while you sew - With regards a walking foot machine, they are to much for general soft furnishing and more for heavy duty work such as leather and upholstery. Trust me Smiley, use double sided tape to hold the velcro in place and then machine sew it down.

Philip
                    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Smiley

I use the same tape as Philip and I have never had a problem. Once my finish length is sorted, I iron the top over and then use the tape, stick the velcro on and then unfold and machine sew the velcro on. I then fold over and stitch down in place (not sure that this is a good idea for heavy blinds)

But getting back to the subject the 6mm tape works well.

Kathy
                      K W Designs
                      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Philip,

Do you remove the sticky tape? If not does the adhesive leach through the fabric and stain it?
                        Jane

Comment

On Philip's recommendation I bought the 6mm double sided tape and am thrilled with it. Excellent quality. I leave the double sided tape in place and machine stitch the velcro either side of the sticky tape as it's so thin. As I always interline my blinds there is no chance that there will be any leaching of sticky stuff through face fabrics....

Comment

Hi All
                            Hope you are enjoying this glorious weather!!!

Message for Philip, you suggested a 6mm double sided tape, where can I get this???

Thanks and Happy Saturday!!!

smiley

Comment

You can get it from craft shops (sometimes in the card making section), Hobbycraft, Ebay and Fred Aldous online.
                              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                              X