Roman blinds with contrast side and hem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman blinds with contrast side and hem

Is there an easy method to joining the corner of a contrast side & hem so it joins at a 45 degree angle. Philip you recently posted a photo of a romo linara blind with contrast border, how did you achieve the corner angles so they were a true 45 d angle????

HELP!

Re: Roman blinds with contrast side and hem

Hello Tam

Added pieces at the sides and bottom must be over long by around 30/40cm, longer strips are advised to be on the safe side as the excess required changes based on the size of the attached border. Using a piece of waste fabric draw a 2cm seam allowance down each side and across the bottom as shown below. It's is very important that you do not sew off the edge at the corner.
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you Philip.

Ahhh see I know where I was going wrong , trying to mitre them from the reverse of the fabric.

As always clear and precise visual instructions,,,, I like your style

Comment

Beautifully shown, as usual. Thanks for this - I'm sure I'll be referring to it in the near future!

Comment

Hi Philip,

So working on my first contrast bordered roman and your steps on getting the mitre have been very useful to get me to the back view but now I'm not sure if you stitch the mitre first and trim the excess fabric then treat the face and mitred border fabric as a single piece which then gets folded and mitred at the back for the bottom weight bar pocket and side hems. Or do you fold in the hems for bottom and sides on the border fabric before stitching the mitre on the face using the guide above? This is the one thats also having a thermal lining going in.

Thanks

Justin

Comment

Hi Justin

Once you've added your contrast, stitch the mitre closed and then treat as one piece of fabric, I machine the mitres closed for a better finish.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

It's also worth remembering that the horizontal strip needs to be much longer, as it has a mitre at each end, rather than just one at the bottom as on the vertical strips.

Angie

Comment

Having found this, I'm about to start my first Roman blind with contrast edge. hope it all makes sense once I start.....
                Chris

Comment

Hi Philip, After the No 8 photo do you put right sides together and stitch the border to the face using a 2cm seam allowance?
                  Warm Regards,

Lizzie
                  Signature Interiors

Comment

I think they are stitched before the borders are mitred. I think that the borders have each been stitched as far as the corner in photo 3. Then you do the mitre last.
                    ​Amanda

Comment

Philip can you suggest where a square mitre grid, similar to the one in your photos, can be purchased please?
                      Warm Regards,

Lizzie
                      Signature Interiors

Comment

thats the question I was going to ask,, looks like a very handy tool, where can I get one??
                        Lainy

Comment

They are called patchwork rulers, or quilters grids and I bought mine from eBay

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

You can also get them from any quilters shop or suppliers.
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison
                            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Philip, I have looked at your instructions to make a mitred corner on a roman blind which was very helpful. How do you progress from there, on the back of the fabric to finish it off and look like the front mitred corner please? I found your pictures the most helpful so I would be so grateful if you could teach me how to finish the back of the blind. Thanks, Sally

Comment

Working...
                              X