Where to buy eyelets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy eyelets?

Does anyone know where to buy the eyelets for the Prym eyelet plier tool? I have two of them and use one to cut the holes and the other to squeeze the eyelets together, but so far the only eylets that I can find to fit are the ones made by Pryms in a pack of 40 which is a really expensive way of doing it, particularly as each time I throw away the cutting tool that comes with it. The eyelet is 5cm by the way.
    By the way it works very well and is a fraction of the price even at retail than Jones charge for the same tool - their eyelets are a slightly different size though and so don't work
    Janie

Re: Where to buy eyelets?

Have you tried http://www.kleins.co.uk/eyelets--tools-27-c.asp http://www.atwellengineering.co.uk/eyeletspec.php or http://www.dtpsupplies.com/eyelets.php They may not be Prym brand but should be able to advise which of their products are suitable for your setting tool.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have been struggling with eyelets as well. Since posting the question on how to fit eyelets I have been looking in all my new catalogues, but can't decide wether to spend £150 on a proper press, or go with the eyelet pliers. I did try some eyelets that were not Prym but they were nowhere near as secure and neat and took a lot more effort to fit - I ended up having to glue them in as well to make sure they did not pull away from the fabric.I decided that I would pay more for the Prym and factor it into the price. If we could get Prym eyelets in bulk that would be ideal. Maybe we could buy in bulk and split them up between members!
      Are you happy with the reuslts with the pliers? I don't make that many blinds so maybe I should get the pliers first and give them a go first.
      Julie
      Julie

Comment

I don't actually use eyelets on my romans so am not the best one to comment.......I have seen them made this way though. I have some Draper eyelet pliers but don't find their finish reliable enough to use them on anything important, I sew rings on to my blinds.

Atwell and DTP both sell eyelet presses in a range of sizes (see my previous post for web site addresses) - they both have hand and bench based presses.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Before spending a fortune try the Draper eyelet plyers If you're only punching through linings..
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help.
            I find the prym pliers excellent , I've been using the same pair for several years and they are still really sharp. What I like about using them is that apart from the expense of buying a proper machine I can cut the holes and apply the eyelets without having to take the blind off the work table. I can't remember how much they cost but its in the region of £12 a pair, so even if you had to replace them once in a while its way cheaper than the Jones' ones which I think are around £60. I have been onto the prym suppliers but they say they don't do them in bulk in this country in that size, but I shall follow the leads given and if I find a supplier will let you all know, am certainly willing to split with anyone if we need to buy a vast quantity.

Jane

Comment

Is this the pliers you have?

[attachment=0:mosz3g8o]pliers.jpg[/attachment:mosz3g8o]
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes those are the ones Louise. I splashed out eventually and bought two sets so that I don't have to keep changing the cutters fo the pincers.

Comment

Thanks - you have already answered the next question about whether they cut the hole and close the eyelet if you have 2 pairs!
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi!

I bought mine from Vena Cava design: http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/Product ... r_5mm.html
                    They do packs of 40,100, 500 and 1000 and they come in black, silver or gold.

Helen.

Comment

I have a HP500 with a 5mm die which was bought from Glover Bros (Atwells machine) last July for £150. I have to say that this machine was a very worthwhile investment but then I make lots of roman blinds and so the outlay for me was perfectly justified. The machine has more than paid for itself in a very short space of time. I never had much success with the pliers and therefore I just used to sew rings onto the blinds. I found the pliers to be fiddly. I think we all have different ways of doing things and guess its what you find easiest and cost effective. I now have a HP1000 for the curtain eyelets but have still not had a chance to use it yet (I have to clear up my workroom tomorrow and find somewhere to put it!)
                      Yvonne

Comment

I bought mine from VM Mason & Co Ltd 0208802 4227
                        2 part eyelets that fit the Draper tool. Part number for nickel
                        E200-22NF for the eyelets
                        W200-22NF for washers
                        Excellent!!

http://www.vmmason.co.uk/index.html

Comment

Working...
                        X