Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Large Romans

Hi
    Would any of you take on a job that required you to make several romans 2mts wide x 3 mts long?
    My initial reaction was no because of the sheer size and weight. I feel it would be almost impossible to make sure they were absolutely square and flat. I know that something of this size would require a heavy duty chain gearing. But what would I use for rods or lath?
    Anyone any experience of something this size?
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Very Large Romans

I have made some very large romans and i used a length of flat wood /metal cut to the width of the fabric instead of using a Tape measure, and held it in place with a fabric covered brick. I have used wooden dowel rods 6-9mm, but have just found some plastic rods from Speedy - they are lightweight,fairly slimline flat rather than round, but quite rigid. I usually use fine fibre glass rods, but they do get a bit bendy over a long length. They still work, but you need lots more rings & cords along the length to stop them sagging. There is not a picture if them in the Speedy catalogue, but give them a ring and they will sent you a sample.
    It sounds like you have a supplier of heavy duty sidewinder units, but just in case, Hallis Hudson do a geared sidewinder housing for heavy blinds.
    Good Luck
    Julie
    Julie

Comment

Hi Penny,

Ooo what a whopper!

I made several 1.5w x 3m d. I opted for ali rods and weight bar ( is that what you meant about the lath? ) It give a nicer weight to the blind.

Your rotary track will possibly need an extra cord though just to be on the safe side Its going to be a pretty heavy blind to function.

Tam x

Comment

I think Jane asked something similiar a few weeks ago: I would use a sidewinder mech and again a ali bottom bar and rods - perfectly feasible to do if you a have workbench which take the size flat - I would not attempt to do this unless I could house the flat width on my bench, the length is not so much of an issue.
        Yvonne

Comment

Hi Penny

You brave girl!! One of those crushed velvet blinds that I have to make are 1.75m wide by 2.75 drop I got a fitter to fit a good quality track which I believe is from Hallis Hudson. I am going to use the fibre glass rods so I hope they dont sag, now I have read Julie's post. I like to hang my blinds and stab stitch, I feel more confident that they are hanging flat (not an easy task though) - like you I am not sure about stab stitching a larger blind! Do let me know how you get on.

Kathy
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

You do need to make sure that you use a good quality sidewinder headrail that can take the weight of the fabrics. They normally come with concealed tape cassettes, and of course make sure the cord drop is long enough.

If you think that there are not enough cords to stop the rods bending, you can order additional cassettes. I haven't found this a problem, though, on these headrails - because of the design all of the cords are being pulled up at the same time with the same tension.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen
              I always use rotary chain tracks and make them up myself, so extra cord drops is not a problem and I can get a 5:1 ratio gearing chain housing for the weight. I have tried the concealed tracks a couple of times when customers have bought them into me to untangle!!! I have found them a nightmare to get the cassettes off then back on again as they have to go onto the rod in the middle of the track and are very very fiddley. This has put me off completely.
              Are these the only ones you use?
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi Penny
                I am just making 2m width with 1.78 drop. I am using alluminium rods they dont bend but are a bit more expensive but I know they are up to the job. I also use a metal bottom bar with a 4:1 ratio Professional Profile track. I am using the bonded interlining and lining on top as this gives it more stability (I hope). Hope this helps.
                Sophie

Comment

Would anyone risk making a roman blind 234cm wide (drop is 167cm)?.

I was going to make 3 separate blinds, as the window is divided into three, but considering an alternative . Making in Vanessa Arbuthnott linen union fabric with thermal or blackout lining. I have to make the folds as narrow as possible so it doesn't take up any more light than necessary (that is why I wasn't going to interline it).
                  Rosannagh

Comment

I can't see why not.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Decorquip make rotary header rails up to 3.1m long so, on that basis, 2.3m shouldn't be a problem but I can't speak from experience.
                      Jane

Comment

Thanks for that Pen & Jane - I will see what the client prefers
                        Rosannagh

Comment

I recently supplied a roman 260cm wide by 140cm drop on an M&D rotary track with fibreglass rods and a metal hem batten, 8 cord drops. The customer did not want more than one blind at the window, and is pleased with it.
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                          X